3 Springfield teens arrested, attack caught on tape

3 Springfield teens guilty in attack caught on tape sentenced

UPDATE @ 9:42 a.m. (Aug. 31)

Three Springfield High School students were sentenced today to 90 days in juvenile detention center to be served on the weekends.

UPDATE @ 12:20 p.m. (Aug. 11)

Three Springfield High School students arrested in July pleaded guilty today in Springfield court on charges related to a felony robbery.

The males appeared in Clark County Juvenile Court with their mothers and attorneys.

A disposition will be held Aug. 31.


Three Springfield High School student football players have been arrested and charged with felony robbery after a violent attack was caught on camera.

Springfield police arrested the three juveniles on Monday, according to a Springfield Police Division incident report.

Detectives began investigating the case a week ago when a cell phone video of the robbery involving the teens emerged, the report said.

“All three males are (15 to 16 years old) and students at Springfield H.S.,” the report states.

This news outlet has obtained a copy of the cell phone video, which allegedly shows the boys approach a man from behind, knock him to the ground and demand the man give them money.

One of the boys is listed as a player on the Springfield Wildcats football roster for the 2015 season, according to athletic conference records.

School officials confirmed all three boys are students and said they were involved in football tryouts and training.

Springfield High School leaders declined to comment on the arrest, and said they don’t comment on ongoing police investigations.

“When it is concluded then the district will begin its own investigation and academic and athletic penalties will be imposed, as our handbooks and policies direct,” district spokeswoman Kim Fish said.

All three boys were charged Monday and taken to the Clark County Juvenile Detention Center in Springfield, according to the police report. They’ve been arraigned on felony robbery charges. All three pleaded not guilty and remain in the detention center. Their next court hearing is set for July 21.

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.