UPDATE: 9:56 a.m.
An arrest warrant issued for a man charged in a baby’s death was recalled.
The Clark County Sheriff’s Office is no longer seeking Brandon Beedy, 33, who is charged with involuntary manslaughter in connection to his 21-month-old baby’s death.
An order issued Tuesday says the warrant was recalled, according to online court records. Previously, an order was filed with the sheriff’s office on June 4 that told law enforcement to arrest Beedy.
It is still unclear why the warrant was recalled. A message left for Clark County Prosecutor Dan Driscoll wasn’t immediately returned Wednesday morning. A phone call to Beedy’s defense attorney, Griff Nowicki, also wasn’t returned.
Beedy was not listed as an inmate in the Clark County Jail Wednesday morning.
A bench warrant was issued for the arrest of a man accused in the death of his 21-month-old son.
Brandon Beedy, 33, is wanted by police after failing to show up to court, according to Clark County Prosecutor Dan Driscoll.
Beedy, as well as the child’s mother, Caitlyn Heinzen, 27, have been charged with involuntary manslaughter and endangering children in Clark County Common Pleas Court in the death of Camden Beedy. They have both pleaded not guilty.
» PREVIOUS COVERAGE: Springfield couple charged in baby’s death
Online court records indicate Clark County Common Pleas Judge Douglas Rastatter issued an order for the warrant on June 3 and it was issued to the sheriff’s office on June 4.
Beedy was not listed as an inmate in jail records Tuesday. A phone message left for his attorney, Griff Nowicki, wasn’t returned.
Online court records show a motion was filed by Nowicki on May 8 requesting that a May 31 court hearing in Beedy’s case be continued. However, it does not appear that motion was granted and that the May 31 hearing was still scheduled and Beedy was supposed to show up to court.
A jury trial was set for July 1 in the case against Brandon Beedy, however, online court records show that date was vacated. A next court date in the case has not been set.
In the case against Heinzen, a hearing was held on May 31. Her attorney has filed a motion demanding the bill of particulars to be filed in the case. The bill is usually written by the prosecuting attorney detailing the allegations against the defendant.
A jury trial date is set in the case against Heinzen for July 8, according to online court documents.
Springfield police began their investigation on Jan 12 when they were called to a home on the 1900 block of Kenton Street at around 6 p.m. for a report a baby had died.
The person reporting the incident to police found the baby unresponsive in his crib, according to the report.
The baby is described in the police report as a 35-pound male with brown hair and blue eyes. The report is listed as a dead-on-arrival, unspecified death case.
The Springfield News-Sun requested 911 calls placed from the house. A man who describes himself as the father of the boy says his son is not waking up.
“My son, he was taking a nap and he ain’t breathing,” the man says.
A 9-1-1 dispatcher gives the man instructions on CPR and leads him through the process. The man tells dispatch he doesn’t know why his son won’t wake up.
“I don’t know, sir, why. He was in his crib; I just went to get him out of his crib,” the man said in the recording.
The man can be heard shouting at the boy, pleading with him to wake up. Paramedics arrived on the scene, but were unable to resuscitate the child.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.