Springfield man charged in baby’s death now in jail

A Springfield man who’s charged in connection to his 21-month-old son’s death was booked into Clark County jail over the weekend.

Brandon Beedy, 33, was indicted in Clark County Common Pleas Court with a count of involuntary manslaughter and child endangering. Authorities said his son, Camden Beedy, died in January from dehydration.

»RELATED: Springfield couple charged in baby's death

Springfield police arrested and booked the boy’s mother, Caitlyn Heinzen, 27, and she appeared in front of Clark County Common Pleas Judge Douglas Rastatter on Friday for an arraignment hearing.

She was not listed in jail records Monday.

Springfield police said Friday that Brandon Beedy was hospitalized for an unrelated issue. Clark County Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Jeff Meyers confirmed to the Springfield News-Sun that Brandon Beedy was in jail on Monday.

A court date has not been set in the case.

»MORE: ICYMI: 3 of the latest crimes from Springfield

Springfield police began their investigation on Jan 12 when they were called to a home on the 1900 block of Kenton Street at around 6 p.m. for a report a baby had died.

The person reporting the incident to police found the baby unresponsive in his crib, according to the report.

The baby is described in the police report as a 35-pound male with brown hair and blue eyes. The report is listed as a dead-on-arrival, unspecified death case.

The Springfield News-Sun requested 911 calls placed from the house. A man who describes himself as the father of the boy says his son is not waking up.

»MORE: Springfield woman accused of allowing dog to starve to death

“My son, he was taking a nap and he ain’t breathing,” the man says.

A 911 dispatcher gives the man instructions on CPR and leads him through the process. The man tells dispatch he doesn’t know why his son won’t wake up.

“I don’t know, sir, why. He was in his crib; I just went to get him out of his crib,” the man says.

The man can be heard shouting at the boy, pleading with him to wake up. Paramedics arrived on the scene but were unable to resuscitate the child.

About the Author