Second man arrested in connection to Springfield shooting


A second man has been charged in connection with a Springfield shooting that has left the victim in critical condition.

Anthony Reynolds, 25, and Steven Miller III, 25, have both been charged with felonious assault with a weapon specification.

Reynolds and Miller appeared in Clark County Municipal Court on Wednesday and pleaded not guilty. Judge Denise Moody set their bonds at $50,000 each.

RELATED: Man reportedly shot in the chest on N. Florence St. in Springfield

Colten Mollet, 24, suffered a gunshot wound to the chest and was transported to Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton.

Police alleged Miller and Reynolds went to Mollet’s home in the 200 block of North Florence Street early Tuesday morning to steal a gun they had sold to him, Springfield Police Division Lt. Jeff Meyer said.

A physical fight broke out between Miller and Mollet, according to a police report, and Reynolds allegedly fired a shot. Reynolds reportedly admitted to firing the shot that hit the victim, according to court records, but said it was intended to be a warning shot.

“They almost took my boy from me. They almost did,” the victim’s father, David Mollett, said.

His son remains in the intensive care unit at the hospital, he said, and was experiencing a lot of pain on Wednesday.

“It’s just very sad that friends aren’t the friends they’re supposed to be,” Mollett’s step-mom, Peggy Gibson, said.

Family members of Colten Mollett believe the alleged suspects targeted him and intended to kill him.

“Hold your kids close because you never know what’s going to happen to them next,” Gibson said.

David Mollett said doctors believe his son will recover.

Neighbors on North Florence Street said they’re concerned about the shooting.

“It’s scary because you don’t know if you can walk out your own door without anything happening,” Allan Ratliff said.

5 QUICK CRIME READS

Springfield mom gets 5 years in prison after baby’s skull fractured

2 fatal crashes kills three people in Clark County

Lawsuit alleges Springfield vet clinic billed for pills it didn’t give

Springfield man who gets 13 years for rape had been ‘under the radar’

Springfield couple allegedly stole thousands from elderly woman




Next Up in Crime

WATCH: 13-year-old leads deputies on 100 MPH chase in Houston 

A 13-year-old boy was arrested after leading Houston deputies on a high-speed chase that lasted more than 20 miles in a stolen vehicle. It was not until the teenager crashed the vehicle that officials discovered he was only in the sixth grade, Houston-based television station KTRK reports. The chase began after the teen was spotted going 60 mph in...
Springfield Memorial Day parade will have new route
Springfield Memorial Day parade will have new route

If you’re planning on attending Springfield’s Memorial Day parade on Monday — make sure you know about the new route. The new path will start near Veteran’s Bridge, make a left on North Fountain Ave., another left on McCreight Ave. and a final left turn on Plum Street with the end circling back to Veteran’s Park. The change...
Adam Levine, James Corden pulled over by cop in ‘Carpool Karaoke’ episode
Adam Levine, James Corden pulled over by cop in ‘Carpool Karaoke’ episode

Adam Levine is the latest musician to join late-night talk show host James Corden for an episode of “Carpool Karaoke,” but they may have had too much fun. In a promo clip for the episode, which aired Thursday, Levine and Corden sing along to the Maroon 5 lead singer’s song “Moves Like Jagger,” but at one point...
SeaWorld, Busch Gardens: Free admission available for veterans now through July 4
SeaWorld, Busch Gardens: Free admission available for veterans now through July 4

From now through July 4, U.S. veterans and up to three guests can get free admission to SeaWorld Orlando, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay as well as other SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment properties across the U.S. SeaWorld said in a news release that this new offer joins the ongoing Waves of Honor program that offers complimentary admission to any U.S. active...
25th James Bond film, 5th with Daniel Craig, to be directed by Danny Boyle
25th James Bond film, 5th with Daniel Craig, to be directed by Danny Boyle

Academy Award-winner Danny Boyle will direct the 25th James Bond film, the spy film franchise confirmed the news on Twitter Friday. In August, Daniel Craig confirmed during an appearance on “The Late Show” that he would return as Bond in the franchise, which will be distributed internationally by Universal, according to Variety. >...
More Stories