Man pleads not guilty to charges stemming from Springfield pursuit

Anthony Grant is arraigned in Clark County Municipal Court Wednesday. BILL LACKEY/STAFF
Anthony Grant is arraigned in Clark County Municipal Court Wednesday. BILL LACKEY/STAFF

A 26-year-old man was arraigned Wednesday morning in Clark County Municipal Court on charges stemming from a pursuit that started in Springfield.

Anthony Grant, of Dayton, pleaded not guilty to speed, driving under suspension, fleeding/eluding with a motor vehicle and two counts for being a fugitive from justice, according to court records. His bond was set at $5,000 and he remains in the Clark County Jail as of Wednesday afternoon. If he posts bond, he will be held to face charges in Preble and Mercer counties due to outstanding warrants.

While officers were on patrol early Tuesday morning around 1:30 a.m. on I-70, they saw a vehicle that appeared to be speeding, going about 90 mph, according to an affidavit filed in the case.

RELATED: One arrested after high-speed pursuit from Springfield to Dayton

The officer attempted to initiate a traffic stop, but the driver did not stop and continued off the highway to a gas station.

“At first the vehicle appeared to slow down and change lanes to the right lane to pull over. The vehicle then continued to the exit ramp at State Route 41 and turned right then turned right onto Ridge Road and into the Love’s gas station and stopped at the gas pumps,” the affidavit said.

As the officer got behind the vehicle, he saw a man and woman standing on the passenger side with the front door open. The man, identified as Grant, said the woman was driving and went into the store.

CRIME: Report: Man shot in Springfield while getting out of vehicle

“As (the officer) spoke with the female, (he) noticed a bottle of alcohol on the floor board and a plastic bag with marijuana in the center console cup holder,” the affidavit said. “The female passenger admitted that she was not driving, later saying that (Grant) had just jumped into her seat and pushed her out of the door.”

Once Grant came out of the store, the officer and a lieutenant who responded to the scene started a pat down before Grant ran to the vehicle, started it and fled the scene, the affidavit said. The lieutenant then pursued him.

According to initial reports, the pursuit started down I-70 before Grant got onto Route 4 going speeds faster than 100 mph at times. Grant then exited Route 4 onto Harshman Road, threw something out of the vehicle and got back on the highway toward downtown Dayton. The pursuit then continued onto I-75 South before Grant exited onto Route 48 and came to a stop where he was arrested.