This ice cream shop is one of Springfield’s hidden gems for sweet treats
This new Springfield diner has a 1950s Americana vibe you have to try
Background/Overview: Michael Downing gives much of the credit for his restaurant experience to Jim Lopez, a prominent local entrepreneur for decades. Jim was the franchise owner of the first Taco Bell in town, and then owned and managed Jim's Coney Island.
Michael (“Mike” or “Mic”) earned the title of restaurateur on March 15, 1988, the day he purchased Jim’s place on Mitchell Boulevard. He titled his new dining destination “Mic’s Restaurant A Fine Italian Cuisine.” Jim, his wife, Edie, and their daughter Nancy worked with Michael until they believed he was ready to go it on his own. He relocated his restaurant to its present spot after 17 years. Mic’s is celebrating its 30th year in business.
With the devotion of Michael’s family and staff, Mic’s Restaurant offers the unusual combination of table service for individual attention and cafeteria-style ordering for promptness. A customer chooses a table in an area that can seat 72 people on its one floor. You’re asked to proceed through the “Order Line,” and then pay the cashier. You’re then supplied with a specially constructed, tall wooden kitchen spoon with an engraved customer number. When the cook’s bell rings, the server looks for the numbered spoon to bring your order to your table.
Mic’s Restaurant A Fine Italian Cuisine is known for its freshly housemade Italian specialties. Customer favorites also include the lunch and dinner specials, and the daily soup options offered until, “Sold Out!”
- Beverages: Kroger Medium Roast Coffee — $1.50; Hot Chocolate-$1.75; Pepsi products or Pink Lemonade — $1.95; Cappuccino — $2.25.
- Children's Menu (w/garlic bread): Lasagna; Spaghetti & Meatball; Taco Salad — $5.49.
- "Lunch Specials": Sandwich & Side — $5.49; Chili Burger, Lunch Burrito or French Bread Pizza — $5.79.
- "Soup-of-the-Day": Monday: Beef & Noodle Soup; Tuesday: Chicken Noodle Soup; Wednesday: Broccoli & Cheddar Soup; Thursday: Bean Soup & Cornbread; Friday: Potato Cheddar Soup or Vegetable Beef Soup — $2.49/$2.99. Chili — $3.25/$3.55.
- Salads: Chicken Salad, or Tuna Plate (large) — $5.99; Chef Salad or Taco Salad (large) — $6.99.
- Sides: Cole Slaw, Cottage Cheese or Macaroni Salad — $2.49; Garden Side Salad — $3.49;
- Hot Dogs: Hot Dog — $1.25; Cheese Dog — $1.50; Coney Dog — $1.85; Cheese Coney — $2.05.
- Sandwiches/Subs: Grilled Cheese Sandwich — $2.75; Cheeseburger — $3.25; Fish Sandwich — $3.49; Turkey & Swiss Sandwich (large) — $5.99; Italian Sub (large) — $5.99; Steak Sub (large) — $6.99.
- Pizzas: French Bread — $5.79; One 12-inch pizza w/up to three toppings — $10.99; two 12-inch pizzas up to three toppings — $16.99.
- "Dinner Specials" (Monday and Wednesday @ 4 p.m.; Friday @ 4:30 p.m.): Dinner Burrito — $6.49; Monday "All-You-Can-Eat" Spaghetti — $7.59; Wednesday Lasagna (large) — $8.59; Friday Sirloin Tips — $10.99.
- Dinners: Ravioli (large), or Spaghetti w/three Meatballs — $8.99; 5-Way Chili (large), Stuffed Shells (three) or Veal Parmesan — $9.49; Lasagna (large) — $9.99.
- Desserts: Ice Cream (scoop) — $ .75; Brownie — $1.75.
Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.; Friday, 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Mic's Restaurant A Fine Italian Cuisine is just north of Croft Road near C.J. Brown Reservoir.
- Military personnel and seniors are honored with a 10-ercent discount off each tab. Credit cards accepted.
- Mic's 30th anniversary week has cheese coney's for $1.50 each! Also, with every purchase you'll receive a drawing ticket for one of 10 food items to be given away each day. And then, all tickets will be kept until the end of the week for a grand prize drawing of a $50 gift card redeemable at Mic's Restaurant A Fine Italian Cuisine.