Sometimes, it just takes a bit of help from friends to get a new business started. That’s the case with this week’s featured spot, and things worked out great.
>> MORE DINING COVERAGE: Springfield restaurant serves up pizza in 3 minutes
Restaurant: Mundy’s Diner
Location: 920 Selma Road, Springfield
Telephone: (937) 717-1726
Background/Overview: Michael’s Florist & Gifts resided in this corner building for many years. In 2013, Tammy Mundy saw a “For Sale” sign on the property. She asked a friend if he would help her purchase it on a land contract, and he agreed to do so.
Through the next several years she and her family renovated the place little by little, while she continued to work her fulltime jobs to keep up the payments on everything. Also, she gives a heart-felt thanks to Michael and Ricki Pepin for helping support her financially from the beginning of this lengthy venture.
Finally, everyone’s hard work and dedication resulted in the opening day of Mundy’s Diner on Jan. 30, 2018. Tammy notes, “We think it’s a bright spot in the neighborhood, and it’s homemade cooking!”
Mundy’s Diner is in a 1950s-styled setting decorated with nostalgic entertainment memorabilia. The owner is also the kitchen manager. She serves homemade American food for breakfast and lunch.
>> MORE DINING COVERAGE: West Liberty restaurant a great place for food and fellowship
- Beverages: Variety of soft drinks — $1 (cans only); Milk — $1.99 (sm.); Maxwell House Coffee — $2.09; Lemonade — $2.09; Juice — $2.50 (sm.); Milkshake — $3.75.
- Breakfast: Yogurt — $1.99; Oatmeal — $2 (sm.); Egg Sandwich — $2.25; French Toast, or Pancakes (three) — $3; Two-Egg Cheese Omelette w/toast — $3.99; “Tammy Cooper’s” Homemade Sausage Biscuits & Gravy (sm.) — $4.50; Eggs (two), meat, potato, & toast — $5.99; Three-Egg Spinach Omelette w/fruit, or yogurt, & toast — $6.99; Three-Egg Western Omelette w/potato, & toast — $7.99.
- “Specials” (w/coffee, or tea): BLT w/grits, or potato — $5.99; Corned Beef Hash w/eggs & grits, or potato — $6.99; Egg Sandwich w/meat, & potato — $6.99; “Tammy Cooper’s” Homemade Sausage Gravy & Biscuits w/eggs & grits, or potato — $6.99; Two Egg Rings w/grits, or potato — $6.99; “Fritz Slammer” (eggs, meat, grits, or potato, biscuits & gravy) — $10.95; New York Strip Steak (six oz.) w/eggs, grits, or potato — $11.95.
- Appetizers: Basket of Fries — $2.99; Cauliflower, Fried Green Tomatoes (six), Fried Pickles, Mushrooms, or Onion Rings — $5.95; Chicken Wings — $8.99.
- Soups: “Soup-of-the-Day,” or Chili-$2.99 (cup)/$3.99 (bowl).
- Salads: “House” Salad — $4; Chef Salad, Grilled Chicken Salad, or Taco Salad — $6.99.
- Sides: Applesauce, or Cottage Cheese — $1.99; Fresh Fruit, Fried Apples, Fried Cabbage, Hash Browns, or Home Fries — $2.99.
- Sandwiches/Sub (w/French Fries & pickle): Grilled Cheese — $4.99; Hamburger (one-third lb.) w/toppings — $6.50; BLT Double Decker (w/six strips of bacon) — $8; Chicken Philly — $8; Patty Melt — $8.
- Hot Dog: $1.50. Customize your Hot Dog for one dollar more.
- French Bread Pizza (two): Pepperoni — $7.
- Kid’s Meals (w/drink): Grilled Cheese w/side, or Hot Dog w/side — $3.99; Chicken Strips w/side, or Hamburger w/side — $5.50.
- Desserts: Root Beer Float — $2; Cake-$2.99; Banana Split — $4.50.
>> MORE DINING COVERAGE: Springfield sub shop is first of its kind in Ohio
Tuesday through Sunday, 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.
(Grill closes at 1:45 p.m.)
There’s very limited parking in the Diner’s lot, however, plenty of free street parking is near the building.
There’s indoor seating for 26 customers. As soon as the weather allows, an outdoor patio will be open with picnic tables for additional customer seating. And, the patio will also be equipped with a cornhole game and sandbox for more family fun at Mundy’s Diner.
Look for local restaurant profiles by Glenn and Kim Creyts every other week in “Life.” For inquiries regarding this column, and “Restaurant Profile” ideas and suggestions for future columns, please contact Glenn and Kim via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.