“The fire department came and checked out the situation and believe lightning traveled across the roof and came through an outlet in the ceiling, which caused it to smoke a little bit and they saw sparks,” Crew said.
The fire department checked the situation and no damage or injuries were reported.
Brooke Spurlock covers education and crime in Clark and Champaign counties as a journalist for the Springfield News-Sun. She has been a writer for a few years, which includes her previous work as a breaking news desk investigator. Spurlock has her BA in mass communications with a minor in psychology and her AAS in paralegal.