The Clark County man who was the focus of a nationwide manhunt last year after slitting his wife’s throat was sentenced to prison Wednesday afternoon.
Raymond Roberts pleaded guilty to the attempted murder of his wife in September 2018.
As a result of the plea deal, two felonious assault charges against Roberts were dropped.
Before the sentence was handed down, Roberts told the court, “This is not me. This is not the person I am. I’m still not really sure what had happened but I just know that this wasn’t me and I deeply apologize.”
Clark County Common Pleas Judge Doug Rastatter sentenced Roberts to 11 years in prison.
Acting Clark County Prosecutor Dan Driscoll said the only way the prosecution would agree to a plea deal was if the defense also agreed to seek the maximum penalty — even then, prosecutors said it’s a small price to pay.
“It is by sheer luck that we are not here on a murder case,” said Clark County Assistant Prosecutor Megan Farley. “This is a case where I honestly do not understand how the victim survived this attack.”
Roberts’ wife did survive the attack and had a long recovery in the hospital.
She was present for her husband’s sentencing with an obvious scar on her neck from the attack. She did not make a victim impact statement.
Roberts attacked his wife on Sept. 20, strangling her to the point of unconsciousness and slitting her throat at their Quwood Road home.
After she was attacked, his wife managed to drive herself to Mayberry’s Mini Mart on U.S. 68, according to deputies. Roberts followed her and rammed her car before fleeing the scene.
The victim was taken to Springfield Regional Medical Center before being transferred to Miami Valley Hospital.
A nationwide search was launched for Roberts and he was arrested near his home a few days later when an Ohio State Highway Patrol trooper spotted the car he was driving.
Roberts has been in jail since his arrest.
In November, Roberts swallowed two razor blades wrapped in baloney while in jail, according to a Clark County Sheriff’s Office incident report.
Jail officials said he hadn’t shown any signs of wanting to harm himself before the incident. He had surgery and was returned to the jail.
Roberts was found competent to stand trial in his case in January.
Driscoll said he hopes the ending to the case can mean a new beginning for the victim, her family and the quiet community that was rocked when the crime happened.
“For us to come to a resolution and wrap this up and do it in a way that really punishes the offender is great we think, and hopefully will give the victim and the family the closure they need to move forward,” Driscoll said.
Roberts’ wife has filed for divorce, but as of Wednesday evening, that case was still ongoing.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.