The teen accused of assaulting a little girl on a school bus last month will remain in juvenile detention until further notice.
The 15-year-old, who is not being identified, appeared before Logan County Family Court Judge Kim Kellogg-Martin on Tuesday with his attorney.
Logan County Prosecutor Eric Stewart asked the judge to keep him in the detention, saying the state will seek a serious youthful offender disposition in the case.
He also said multiple other potential victims are being interviewed at Nationwide Children’s Hospital. Right now, there has only been one alleged assault.
The teen did score low on a risk assessment that was performed on him. It was recommended that if he were to be released, he wear an ankle monitor and not have any contact with children, including family members.
Prior to the judge’s decision, the teen’s attorney Steven Fansler asked that he be released to his family, who was present at the hearing.
“In this instance, he has a home to go to. It’s a two family home. We have a low risk assessment. There doesn’t seem to be a base to hold him,” he said.
The victim’s family was also in attendance at the hearing, but did not want to comment.
The 15-year-old is accused of assaulting a six-year-old on a Benjamin Logan Local school bus last month. He was a bus helper at the time of the alleged incident. Ben Logan officials said that students are chosen for that position who are familiar with the bus routes to help when substitute drivers are behind the wheel, since none of Ben Logan’s buses are equipped with GPS capabilities.
Right now the teen is charged with rape and gross sexual imposition. The prosecutor’s office said the case will go before a grand jury next week.