Suspect nabbed in Springfield beating death

Jeremy Carmichael charged in August death of Josh Hise

UPDATE @ 5:45 p.m. (Oct. 2): Springfield police have arrested a man connected to the August beating death of a 38-year-old Springfield man.

Jeremy Carmichael was picked up by the SOFAST regional task force early this morning in Springfield. He was wanted on a secret indictment warrant for involuntary manslaughter, said Sgt. Jeff Flores of the Springfield Police Division.

Josh Hise was beaten Aug. 12 in a parking lot of an apartment complex on Vester Avenue and died of his injuries at an area hospital.

Carmichael was named as the sole suspect that led to Hise’s death, police said. He is in police custody and will be booked into the Clark County Jail, police said.

UPDATE @ 10:30 p.m. (Aug. 17): A vigil was held for Josh Hise, who died at Miami Valley Hospital on Aug. 13 following a fight at an apartment on Vester Avenue.

Balloons were loosed for him. Friends and family who had gathered shouted “justice for Josh!” as they marched.

They begged anyone who knows anything about what happened to come forward. Police have not made any arrests in the case.


The family of a Springfield man killed in a fight at an apartment complex hopes surveillance video from the scene helps police put those responsible behind bars.

Josh Hise, 38, of Springfield, was involved in a fight at an apartment on Vester Avenue early Wednesday morning. He died of his injuries at Miami Valley Hospital on Thursday, his family said.

“I mean they murdered my brother — murdered him by beating him to death,” Melana Hise said.

Officers responded to a fight at an apartment in the 1300 block of Vester Avenue about 12:20 a.m. Wednesday and found Hise unconscious at the scene, according to a Springfield Police Division incident report.

A 9-1-1 caller told dispatchers she was woken up by two women fighting outside of her home, according to dispatch records. The caller dialed 9-1-1 again to report the fight had escalated to include five or six people.

Medics transported the unconscious man from the scene to Springfield Regional Medical Center and he was later flown to Miami Valley Hospital, where he was diagnosed with a fractured skull and large brain bleed, police said.

The family made the decision to take Josh Hise off life support Thursday, his sister Delana Spence said.

His sisters sat in tears Friday morning and said the worst part is they didn’t get to say goodbye to their brother. He had severe brain damage when he arrived at the hospital.

“He was already gone,” his sister Nicole Howell said.

“I mean we told him goodbye but we don’t know if he heard us,” Melana Hise added.

Police collected video from surveillance cameras at the apartment, Chief Stephen Moody said.

Police haven’t named any suspects in the case. But Moody said detectives continue to investigate and question witnesses who were at the scene.

Melana Hise hopes the video helps police put those responsible for her brother’s death behind bars quickly.

The family said they are happy their brother was an organ donor. Doctors told them his organs have already saved the lives of four people, Howell said.

But the Hise family said they still don’t understand the purpose behind their brother’s death.

“Senseless violence is all that is,” Melana Hise said.

All Melana Hise said she wants now for her brother is justice.

“I don’t want revenge, but I want them to be caught and punished and put away for the rest of their life,” she said.

Anyone with information about Josh Hise’s death can call Springfield police at 937-324-7680.

In Other News