Springfield woman ignored dead man in living room, sentenced to jail

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

Combined ShapeCaption
A woman is accused of taking care of a dog while leaving a decomposing man on the floor.

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

A woman who ignored a dead man decomposing in a living room was sentenced to spend 30 days in jail, according to online court records.

Lisa Sisler (also known as Lisa Powell), 53, pleaded guilty to a charge of failure to report a crime or knowledge of a death or burn injury in Clark County Municipal Court. She was sentenced by Clark County Municipal Court Judge Thomas Trempe.

PREVIOUS: Springfield woman accused of not reporting dead body

Springfield police began their investigation when they were called to an apartment on Oct. 6 on South Burnett Road.

“Officers arrived on scene with medics who once in the apartment located a body that was decomposing on the floor,” the affidavit says.

A witness told police the apartment belonged to a man who was in the hospital and the victim had been staying there along with a woman. The witness said the woman had been at the Springfield Regional Medical Center for the past few days and was just released.

“At which time she contacted friends and they drove her over to (the apartment) to get items she left in the apartment and upon entering the apartment located the victim and called 911,” the affidavit says. Officers found a small dog locked in the bedroom while processing the scene, the affidavit says.

It appeared that someone had been coming into the home to care for the dog while the body was decomposing, according to the affidavit. “The victim (Steven Rafferty) was removed and transported to Montgomery County Coroners Office for an autopsy that was completed,” the affidavit says.

Through an investigation, officers found that Sisler had warrants and was arrested, according to the affidavit. She was interviewed Oct. 15 after being arrested on the warrant.

“At which time she stated she was in the apartment when the victim overdosed and that she called 911 on the victim’s cell phone and then handed the phone to a witness and left because she had a warrant,” the affidavit says. “Defendant Sisler stated she did return to the apartment on Oct. 5 and found the victim still laying on the floor, but did not call 911.”

About the Author