A recently resigned Springfield Twp. firefighter has been accused of sexually assaulting four teens he met through the cadet program at the fire department.
Jonathan Monroe, 23, showed up at the Springfield Police Division earlier this month and allegedly confessed to assaulting the teens over the last several years, with the latest incident occurring just last month.
A warrant has been issued for his arrest on charges of rape, sexual battery, gross sexual imposition and unlawful sexual conduct with a minor.
“Monroe was very tearful,” Detective Sandra Fent wrote in a police affidavit. “During the interview, Monroe stated that he had access to these children through the cadet program with the Springfield Twp. Fire Department.”
The alleged abuse began when Monroe was also a teenager, according to court records, and reportedly continued for several years. The affidavit says Monroe turned himself into police on April 5, but investigators couldn’t arrest him until they also interviewed the victims.
Police said they contacted the suspect to turn himself in on Tuesday but he failed to do so. Police anticipated arresting him Thursday night.
Monroe resigned from his position at the fire department by sending an email to the fire chief on April 6, Springfield Twp. Trustee Tim Foley said.
“At the April 11 trustee meeting, the trustees approved to accept the resignation of Jonathon Monroe,” he said.
Foley said Monroe no longer has any connection with the fire department. He also said the cadet program is under review.
“The program has been suspended until further review,” Foley said.
He’s been advised not to make any further comments at this time, he said.
Monroe had authority over the teens as their training instructor at the fire department, Springfield Police said.
MORE CRIME NEWS: Suspects in Ridgewood break-ins appear in Clark County court
The suspect told detectives he allegedly began assaulting one of the victims years ago, according to court records. The victim told investigators it started when the victim was 11 years old. Monroe told police that the last time he allegedly had sexual contact with the teen, he offered the victim $40 but didn’t pay the money, according to the affidavit.
Monroe said he paid a different teen victim multiple times, police alleged.
The former firefighter also identified two other victims, the affidavit says. One victim he allegedly assaulted more than 10 times and the other was once about a year ago, according to the affidavit.
Each victim corroborated the alleged assaults, according to the police affidavit.
Springfield Twp. Trustee Jim Scoby and Springfield Twp. Fire Chief John Roeder both declined comment on Thursday afternoon. Springfield Twp. Trustee Dean Wells couldn’t be reached Thursday.
5 QUICK CRIME READS
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.