Springfield Police: ‘We are aware of the investigation in Huber Heights’

Jonavon A.K. McCoy

A Springfield man is wanted in connection to a Huber Heights home invasion where two teens were tied up in May.

Also, one boy’s father was found dead in a Springfield park later that morning.

A warrant for arrest was issued against Jonavon A.K. McCoy by Huber Heights police this week related to the home invasion. He is charged with kidnapping and aggravated burglary in the May 2018 incident where two teens were bound with zip ties in their Shull Road home.

McCoy has not been charged in connection with the death of the boy’s father, Cedric Holt Jr. Authorities have not said whether the two incidents are connected.

Springfield Police Chief Lee Graf said in a statement that the investigation into Holt’s death is continuing.

“We are aware of the investigation in Huber Heights and will assist the Huber Heights Police Department in any way that we can,” Graf said. “Our investigators continue to follow all leads in regards to the Cedric Holt homicide investigation. The Springfield Police Division would request that anyone having information that pertains to this case please contact us at 937-328-3434.”

Teen bound in Huber Heights, father’s boy found 19 miles away in Springfield park

On May 22, a 911 caller said her 14-year-old son had told her his father left the home around 11 the night before and didn’t return. The woman said her son and another boy were tied up by two men hours later, around 4 a.m.

Holt was found deceased in Springfield’s Virgil Mabra Park about 9 a.m. by a mowing crew.

Springfield police said they met with a witness who said he found a body, the report says.

A park employee who called 911 said the body was in a car.

Springfield Fire Division personnel also responded to the scene and told police the man, later identified as Holt, was dead, the police report says.

Holt’s death was ruled a homicide.

Vigil held for Huber Heights man killed, found in Springfield park

Also, Holt’s cousin, Gary Cameron, was shot numerous times just weeks after Holt’s death. Cameron was transported to Springfield Regional Medical Center where he later died.

Springfield police haven’t given a motive for either death, or said that the two homicides are related. Graf did say investigators are looking into all possibilities in an attempt to solve the crimes.

Holt was 34 years old and Cameron was 22.

The men’s families declined an interview for this article, but previously said they hope their loved ones get justice.

“Something needs to be done about it, Susan Cameron-Johnson said in July days after Gary Cameron was killed. “I want justice for my son - also for my nephew that got killed a few months ago.”

Family members described the cousins as nice men. A friend of Holt said he was a good father.

In Other News