Springfield man arrested, accused of shooting man taking out trash

Aug 27, 2018
  • By Parker Perry
  • Staff Writer

A Springfield man is accused of shooting a man taking out the trash.

William Howard, 23, is charged in Clark County Municipal Court with felonious assault. He pleaded not guilty and his bond was set at $20,000.

MORE4 in custody after night of shootings, chase in Springfield

Springfield police began their investigation when they were called the 1300 block of Perry Street, according to an affidavit filed with the charges, where they found a victim who was shot.

“The projectile traveled through (the victim) and exited on the left front of his torso,” the affidavit says. “The projectile continued until it struck an entry door of an apartment.”

An officer headed to the scene saw two males, including Howard, walking and when he arrived at the scene got the description that matched the suspects.

READ: 2 Springfield men indicted for trafficking carfentanil

“He radioed this information to other responding units,” the affidavit says. “These officers located the subjects and detained them. They were later transported to police headquarters where they were interviewed.”

Howard allegedly admitted to police that he shot at the victim, the report says.

“The defendant admitted that he was upset with (the victim) so he walked to where he lives,” the affidavit says., “He saw (the victim) outside and fired his 9mm pistol one time striking him. He then fled from the scene on foot.”

The identity of the other person detained by police was not released.

Authorities interviewed the victim at Springfield Regional Medical Center and were told he was taking out the trash at his home when he was shot, a police report says.

“(The man) stated he was taking the trash out at his residence when he heard one gunshot,” the report says. “(The man) turned and ran back to the house and attempted to get inside the house. He stated as he tried to get into the door the window of the door shattered and cut his arm.”

The victim was flown by medical helicopter to Miami Valley Hospital after police interviewed him.