A new jury trial date has been set in the case against a Springfield man accused of opening fire at a Springfield bar last year.
Gabriel Crossley, 31, is charged with murder and two counts of felonious assault in Clark County Common Please Court. He has pleaded not guilty.
The case against Crossley is set to be presented to a jury Dec. 9, according to online court records. It had previously been set for October before the defense requested and was granted a continuance.
A court document outlining the charges says Crossley opened fire at the Wagon Wheel bar on June 17, 2018.
“The defendant did purposefully fire a deadly weapon (firearm) into a crowd of people multiple times with the purpose to cause physical harm and death,” the court record says. “One round struck the victim causing his death. The defendant then removed the firearm and discarded it impairing its availability as evidence in this matter.”
Springfield police say Jahream Beard, 35, of Springfield, was killed in the shooting. Two others were shot, according to police, but neither suffered life-threatening injuries.
Springfield police responded to the bar at around 2:40 a.m. that day due to multiple people being shot, according to a Springfield police report. When they arrived, Beard was laying in the parking lot not moving.
A licensed practical nurse was giving Beard CPR when police arrived, the report says. The report says when medic units arrived they were unable to find a pulse for Beard.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.