Final autopsy reports out in Pike County killings

Update Sept. 23, 2016:

The final eight autopsies of the murdered Rhoden family members in Pike County, Ohio were released Friday by the Ohio Attorney General’s Office.

The long, detailed reports prepared by the Hamilton County Coroner who assisted in the investigation, reach final conclusions on the cause of death and number of times each family member was shot in the execution-style killings.

We are reviewing the reports now and will report any new information they reveal.

The Pike Co. murder case remains unsolved, but last month, we reported on similarities to a killing in Kentucky.

Aug. 9, 2016:

“It really is like putting together a big, say thousand-piece jigsaw puzzle,” he said. “We’re putting in pieces. A piece here, a piece here, a piece here. At some point it becomes clear. You start seeing a picture and at some point, you figure it out.”

In response to a question on whether the shooters knew the victims, DeWine said certainly those responsible “knew the territory.”

“Someone was involved who knew that area, and probably knew those homes and at least some of the people who were victimized. But beyond that I really can’t say.”

As for the marijuana plants found growing on two properties where bodies were found, DeWine said, “Clearly, this was a serious commercial operation.”, who would not confirm any connections to international drug cartels.

“I don’t want to be in a position where we confirm or deny any kind of theory. I don’t think that would be fair as far as our investigation is concerned and our ability to find out who did this,” he said.

Pastor Fulton said he continues praying for the Lord to “direct the law enforcement.”

“Give them eyes to see, ears to hear, the things that they need to make the arrest of those who committed this tragically evil, grotesque act,” Fulton said.

Fulton said those capable of killing eight people at close range, would likely do it again.

“Because if they’ve done it once, they’re not going to stop. They’ll do it again … They’ve sent a message,” Fulton said. “No doubt that message has went far and wide.”

Fulton said the April deaths are a stark reminder to the dangers of drug dealing.

A $10,000 reward remains for information leading to an arrest.

“We’re in the fourth month now. They’ve confiscated the trailers … surely they could have found something by now,” Fulton said.

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X