Enon grandmother charged after child swallows RX drugs

Tammey Miracle, 54, owned the medication that the 1-year-old boy ingested on June 12, said Lt. Mike Holler of the Enon Police Department. The prescription pills were sitting in opened bottles and lying out on an end table in the family’s home, he added. The child got into the drugs while his father was in another room, Holler said.

The boy was taken to Dayton Children’s Hospital and did not suffer any complications from the medicine, police said. Miracle was charged because her prescription drugs were not properly stored in her home where the grandson is also living, Holler said. She is scheduled to appear in Enon Mayor’s Court on July 2 to face the charge.

“Anyone who has prescription drugs or any medicines, even Tylenol, should properly store them so that children cannot reach them,” Holler said.

He explained multiple prescription drugs were laying on low tables and in boxes on the floor of Miracle’s home and presented a threat to the child, so police decided to press the child endangering against her.

Unintentional or accidental drug overdoses is one of the leading causes of death in Ohio, according to the Ohio Department of Health. Leaving medications out in the open around children, or for any persons whom the medication is not intended, could cause serious injury or death, Holler said.

Anyone with unused or expired prescription or over-the-counter medications can dispose of their drugs at one of the many drug drop boxes located in Clark County, including one at the Enon Police Department, 363 E. Main St.

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X