Two former University of Dayton basketball players, kicked off the team last season, face potential felony charges and nationwide arrest warrants have been issued for them, the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office announced Tuesday afternoon.
Jalen T. Robinson, 21, and Devon H. Scott, 20, stand accused of several on-campus burglaries from dormitories in the early morning hours of Dec. 14, 2014, according to University of Dayton police.
“In addition to video surveillance, the defendants were positively identified,” Prosecutor Mat Heck Jr said in a prepared statement. “The arrest warrants are nationwide as the location of the defendants is unknown at this time.”
Robinson and Scott, both from Columbus’ Northland High School, were dismissed from the team Dec. 15, 2014, and later withdrew from the university. UD officials declined comment on the charges.
“Due to federal privacy laws, the university cannot release information about any student disciplinary issues, and has no additional comment,” university officials said.
Prosecutors have approved seven counts of burglary against Scott and three counts of burglary against Robinson. All are second-degree felonies. The case will be scheduled for grand jury consideration of formal charges.
The prosecutor’s office said the ongoing investigation may result in additional charges and that there is “extensive forensic analysis that needs to be completed involving numerous victims.”
Robinson and Scott were key contributors during Dayton’s 2014 NCAA tournament run to the Elite Eight. After their dismissal, the short-handed Flyers made the 2015 NCAA tournament, winning a First Four game at UD Arena before defeating Providence at Nationwide Arena in Columbus. UD dropped a third-round game against Oklahoma on Sunday.
“The University of Dayton’s participation in the NCAA had no part whatsoever in this,” said prosecutor’s spokesman Greg Flannagan, who would not address the exact evidence needing forensic analysis.
When Scott and Robinson were dismissed, UD coach Archie Miller said: “This is a decision really based on behavior and acceptable behavior. Both guys just didn’t live up to expectations, not only in what we feel about our players, but in general in how you’re supposed to do things.”
The alleged burglaries involving Scott occurred after he avoided jail time last August, when he pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct against the mother of his son.
Though he didn’t appear in Dayton Municipal Court with his attorney, Scott was sentenced to 40 hours of community service to be completed by Nov. 30, a suspended 30-day sentence, fined $250 fine with half of that suspended, and court costs.
Scott may have violated his probation with the new charges. He had been suspended from UD’s team and reinstated.
As part of a plea deal, prosecutors dropped an assault charge and amended the domestic violence charge to disorderly conduct, a fourth-degree misdemeanor. According to court documents, UD police brought the charges that accused Scott of “striking” and “dragging” Keonna Austin at 11 p.m. on April 1, 2014.
Scott’s attorney in the domestic violence case, Michael Wright, said Scott completed domestic violence education at the Artemis House and went through counseling.
“Mr. Scott has never been in trouble before,” Wright told Judge Deirdre Logan in August. “There should not be any future incidents, your Honor.”