Springfield family moves back into house damaged in car crash

A Springfield family has moved back into their home after it was struck by a car involved in a high-speed chase.

Shalene Radford, her mother and their dogs were forced to temporarily move out of their Kenton Street house while the large hole in the living room caused by the crash was covered. Her mother was moved into a hotel with the dogs while Radford had to find housing elsewhere.

They all moved back in Saturday. A Columbia Gas crew was at their home Tuesday trying to repair the gas line that was damaged.

“The only thing we have is electric. We can’t cook or anything like that but the owners, the landlords … they are getting it together,” Radford said.

The pursuit began Thursday evening after a traffic stop at Lafayette and Kenton Streets when the SUV Kevin Cragg, of Dayton, was driving sped off. About eight blocks later, Cragg tried to turn right at Kenton and York streets and crashed into the house, Springfield police said. Police said Cragg hit speeds as high as 85 mph during the chase.

RELATEDFamily dealing with aftermath of car crash into Springfield home

Cragg and his passenger Sabrina Chafin were sought on warrants — Chafin’s out of Greene County. They were trapped when the vehicle came to rest on its top after causing heavy damage to the house.

They lost a lot of items but people have been kind and have been helping them out, Radford said.

“The TV, the stand, the furniture, everything in the living room - they destroyed. I’m just lucky”, Radford said. “It barely missed her,” Radford said referring to her mother. “The church helped us out with some food … cause we can’t cook or nothing.”

The crash could have been a lot worse Radford said because of the many children that play in the area. A child could have been hit or the house could have been more severely damaged.

“My mom just got back from making a police report for her oxygen machine and stuff like that. He almost blew us up,” Radford said. “We have oxygen in the house. I’m on a CPAP machine and she’s on an oxygen machine. So, we have to get them replaced.”

This publication was told it will take a few weeks before the house is back to normal.

Cragg has appeared in court and was charged with fleeing/eluding a police officer, three counts of weapons under disability and three counts of firearms in motor vehicle.

About the Author