The Heritage Center: Springfield’s Big Four Station

During the late 19th and early 20th century, rail travel was preferred by passengers and growing businesses alike.

Many local manufacturers had railroad spurs built into their factories to make it easier to ship raw materials in and finished products out.

>> The Heritage Center: Remembering Clark County's history of builders

Springfield’s grand passenger depot on Washington Street, The Big Four Station, opened in 1911 and for decades was a bustling place.

>> The Heritage Center: Signs of the past

In 1924 alone, there was an average of 3,000 freight cars and 40 passenger and express trains going through Springfield daily.

After cars became more affordable following WWII, train travel diminished and the depot was eventually demolished in 1969.

>> Heritage Center seeks more Clark County history, artifacts

At the Heritage Center, images and the original benches help keep memories of that time alive.

About the Author