Springfield Police are looking for a suspect who escaped into the woods on Cecil Street on Tuesday evening after a pursuit involving a U.S. Marshall. Another suspect was taken into custody a short distance away. ERIC HIGGENBOTHAM/STAFF

Springfield neighbors rattled after Cecil Street crash, search in woods

Residents on E. Cecil Street are still looking for answers after a heavy police presence kept their neighborhood active for hours on Tuesday night.

“It was scary to us! We had no idea what was going on,” said neighbor, Linda Hormeman. “They all started getting the dogs out and going in the woods and stuff looking for [a suspect].”

The action actually started on Cedar Street just before 5 p.m. on Tuesday when U.S. Marshals agents tried to serve a man a warrant.

Springfield Police Division Lt. Matthew Buynak said a car with two men inside then rammed an agent’s vehicle and a chase ensued.

CRIME: Springfield man accused of punching mother several times

Hormeman said she heard someone flying down her street — which isn’t normal because the street dead ends.

“You could tell he was just driving crazy fast,” she said. “And the first thing I thought was who is driving like that down this road — there’s kids everywhere.”

Hormeman’s neighbor, Brandon Trapp called 9-1-1 when he heard a crashing noise. The car with the two men inside eventually crashed into a car parked on the street in the 800 block of E. Cecil Street.

“All of a sudden, the marshals and the police and everything were here for five, six hours,” Trapp said. “I’m guessing they didn’t know it was a dead end, and they were trying to keep running but they didn’t have nowhere to go.”

Neighbors said the two men jumped out of the vehicle while it was still moving before it crashed. They said they saw one man run in between houses. He was eventually captured by police and questioned.

IN YOUR COMMUNITY: Mad River Twp. fires lieutenant after learning of prior sexual misconduct complaints

The other man in the vehicle ran into the woods at the dead end of the street. Agents and Springfield police were joined by K-9 units from Huber Heights and Fairborn to look for him, but the search was called off after a few hours.

As of Wednesday evening, the second man was still on the loose.

Both Trapp and Hormeman said there was talk between neighbors, but they still were unsure who the men were or why they were wanted by law enforcement.

This news organization reached out to Springfield Police for additional information on Wednesday, but did not receive a response.

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.