Motorist shot in the shoulder near airport in Springfield

Springfield man accused of shooting motorist pleads guilty

A Springfield man accused of randomly shooting a motorist who briefly pulled into a driveway on Springfield-Xenia Road pleaded guilty to charges and is due for sentencing next week.

Ernest McRobie, 56, was charged in Clark County Common Pleas Court with discharge of a firearm on or near prohibited premises and felonious assault. He pleaded guilty to the charges and is due in court for sentencing on Wednesday, according to online records.

» LOCAL CRIME: Police investigating burglary at Springfield tavern

Law enforcement began their investigation in September when they were called to the scene by the victim who said he pulled over to look for his cell phone before being shot.

McRobie reportedly fired two rounds at a pickup truck driver who pulled into McRobie’s driveway at 5982 Springfield-Xenia Road. One round went through the victim’s passenger door and hit him in the right shoulder, according to court documents.

The victim was driving home from work when he went to call his wife, deputies said. When he couldn’t find his phone, he stopped at the apron of the driveway to look for it.

“I thought I left my phone at work and pulled over,” he said in a 9-1-1 call.

When the victim found his phone, he reportedly noticed McRobie walking down the driveway toward him with a handgun.

» READ MORE: 19-year-old hit, killed by bullet while lying on couch, police say

McRobie then fired the shots at the victim while only about five feet away, deputies said.

The victim was able to drive away and pulled over on Airpark Drive, where he called 9-1-1. He was treated and released from Greene Memorial Hospital.

“It could have been a far worse situation than what it was,” Lt. Kristopher Shultz said at the time. “Obviously it’s a serious incident anyway; anytime you have someone discharging a firearm into a vehicle or into a roadway area, it is a highly dangerous situation. Everybody here was pretty much lucky that this did not turn out any worse than it was.”

When McRobie was questioned about the incident he didn’t have much to say, according to deputies.

“He was incredulous — that was his reaction to us and our questioning,” Shultz said. “But he did not wish to talk to us about anything.”

McRobie was taken into custody on suspicion of felonious assault, use of weapons while intoxicated and discharge at or on a prohibited premises.

The third charge was because McRobie fired into the street, according to investigators.

“You’ve got an extensive amount of traffic moving back and forth so it could have a far worse situation,” Shultz said.

McRobie’s guilty plea was entered Dec. 17, the day a trial was set in the case.

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.