Springfield police, fire investigate 2 fires as arson

Springfield Police and Fire Divisions are investigating two fires that are being described as arsons.

Officers were dispatched around 4 p.m. on Tuesday to the 400 block of East Southern Avenue to assist the Springfield Fire Rescue Division with a car fire, according to a Springfield police report.

When police arrived on scene, they spoke with the fire division who said the vehicle was on fire from the engine compartment and that it’s believed to be an arson.

Officers then spoke with the owner of the burned 1992 Lincoln Town Car who said he was not sure how his vehicle had caught on fire and that he just bought it less than 30 days ago.

“(The victim) stated that he had just went to the gas station and put fuel in the vehicle and then came home and parked the vehicle in front and went inside his residence. He was inside less than five minutes when he was informed that his car was on fire on the street. When he came out, nobody was around the vehicle,” the report said.

The victim also told police that he has not had any mechanical work done to the car since he bought it, that it was a “clean car” and did not have any issues to his knowledge, that the car drove well and was not reading hot, the report said.

Officers were also dispatched around 4 a.m. on Tuesday to the 200 block of South Yellow Springs Street on the report of an arson, according to a Springfield police report.

When police arrived, they spoke with the Springfield Fire Division who said, “that it appeared that an unknown suspect had intentionally set a small fire to the northeastern window and window frame.”

Officers then spoke to a witness who lives next door who said, “he had gone outside his residence to leave for work and observed a small fire,” the report said. “He called dispatch to report the fire and went inside his residence to get water for the fire. He did not see anyone around when he first observed the fire.”

A short time later, police were able to get in contact with the owner of the residence who said she is in the process of moving out and has had recent trouble with criminal damaging to the residence.

“She stated that she had left the residence around 8:30 p.m. on Aug. 31, and was unsure of any fire damage to the property,” the report said.

No suspect or witness information was available for either incident, and Springfield Police and Fire Divisions continue their investigations.

About the Author