Springfield man indicted after allegedly holding woman against her will, beating her


A Springfield man has been indicted after allegedly holding a woman in his home for a day, not allowing her to leave, and assaulting her.

Hashim Stephens Jr., 22, was indicted in Clark County Common Pleas Court this week on charges of abduction and assault. As of Wednesday, Stephens was not listed as an inmate in Clark County Jail.

A woman came into Springfield Police Division headquarters on Jan. 2 and reported Stephens after “being assaulted and held against her will,” according to an affidavit filed in the cases.

The victim told police she went over to Stephens’s home in the 400 block of Stanton Avenue on Jan. 1 to have a discussion about their relationship, according to the affidavit.

ExploreOpening date for Springfield Raising Cane's announced

“During the discussion Mr. Stephens became angry. (Victim) advised she wanted to leave before things got out of hand. When she went to leave Mr. Stephens told her she was not going anywhere,” the affidavit said.

When the victim made a move to leave the home, Stephens then allegedly “punched her in the left side of her stomach causing her instant pain,” the affidavit said.

“He then threw her onto the couch and got on top of her continuing to hit her in the stomach area. While he did so, (victim) attempted to grab her taser in an attempt to get him off of her. When she did so he grabbed the taser and slammed it onto the ground causing it to break,” the affidavit said.

ExploreSpringfield restaurat owner: 'Shutting us down at 10 p.m. is not the answer'

The two fought on and off for the remainder of the afternoon, with the victim eventually falling asleep. When she woke up the next day, she “continued to plead with Mr. Stephens to let her leave.”

“She told Mr. Stephens she had to go to work. She told him if she did not go people would start to worry about her and would start wondering where she was,” the affidavit said.

Stephens allowed the victim to leave, the affidavit said. She drove to her home where she “saw the bruises on her arms, legs and shoulders.” The victim then drove to the SPD headquarters to file a report.

Stephens’s next court date has not yet been filed.

In Other News