Hillary Clinton has had a long history of public service. Probably best known as the first lady of the United States, she served her country also as a senator from New York and secretary of state.
Clinton was born Oct. 26, 1947.
According to her official biography:
- She grew up in a middle-class home in suburban Chicago.
- Daughter of World War II Navy veteran and small-business owner father Hugh and mother Dorothy.
- After high school graduation in 1965, Hillary attended Wellesley College.
- She was the first student speaker at the college's commencement ceremony in 1969.
- Enrolled in Yale Law School, only one of 27 women in her graduating class.
- Started dating future president Bill Clinton while attending Yale.
- Worked for Children's Defense Fund in Cambridge, Massachusetts after graduating law school in 1973, according to her official biography at firstladies.org.
- In 1974, served as a lawyer for congressional committee investigating President Richard Nixon.
- August 1974, she moved to Arkansas and taught law.
- Ran legal clinics representing disenfranchised people.
- Co-founded Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families.
- Oct. 11, 1975 - Bill and Hillary marry
- Served as first lady of Arkansas from 1979 to 1981 and 1983 to 1992.
- Daughter Chelsea was born in 1980.
- Bill was elected president in 1992, re-elected in 1996.
- As first lady, she helped create Children's Health Insurance Program, providing health coverage for millions of children.
- 1995, she led the U.S. delegation to Beijing for the U.S. Fourth World Conference on Women.
- 2000 - elected senator from New York.
- Secured $20 billion to help rebuild New York after the 9/11 and got health care for first responders at Ground Zero.
- 2003 - published memoir "Living History"
- 2008, launched unsuccessful bid for the White House, losing to President Barack Obama.
- Nominated by Obama as the 67th Secretary of State. She was the third woman and only first lady to serve in the capacity, according to firstladies.org.
- 2014 - Granddaughter Charlotte Clinton Mezvinsky was born.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.