Man dies after being shot multiple times in Springfield, police have no suspects

A man has died after being shot multiple times in Springfield on Monday morning.

The man, whose identity has yet to be confirmed by the Clark County Coroner’s Office, was found “lying in the back seat of a black 2002 Honda Accord,” around 8:30 a.m. on Monday morning in the area of Clifton Avenue and East Euclid Avenue, according to a Springfield Police Division report.

The fatal shooting is Springfield’s fifth homicide this year.

“(Victim) was suffering from multiple gunshot wounds and could not speak to any questions,” the report said.

Shortly after SPD arrived on the scene and found the victim, the Springfield Fire Division was dispatched to take the victim to Springfield Regional Medical Center, where he succumbed to his injuries shortly after this arrival at 9 a.m.

ExploreClark, Champaign school districts to start classes over next few weeks

According to the report, the victim’s cause of death has been labeled a homicide .

Multiple police, the Crime Scene Unit and the Investigations Unit all responded to the scene of the incident.

On Monday morning, media on the scene noted evidence crews centered around the Honda Accord, which had all of its doors open, and saw several evidence markers placed along the street. Police at the scene told members of the media they would not be taking questions on the shooting as they were continuing to investigate.

A small memorial has been placed at the site where the car was previously located.

ExploreChild, motorcyclist killed last week in separate crashes identified

According to the report, the shooting remains under investigation and police have no suspects as of Tuesday morning.

Aside from Monday’s shooting, the most recent homicide occurred on May 3.

That night, police were dispatched to 1222 S. Center St. on a call of “a man shot in the street.” When they arrived, they found a victim, Tyler Fullen, 27, of Springfield with “several gunshot wounds to the body,” Springfield Police Lt. Lou Turner said previously.

Turner was also taken to SRMC where he died.

Jashon Robinson, 21, was identified two days later as a suspect in the shooting. He was charged with murder on May 11. Robinson’s trial is set to begin on Oct. 5, according to online court records.