Two horses perished inside a burning barn fueled by 1,400 hay bales near Cedarville Saturday evening.
The fire, reported around 7:30 p.m. in the 2700 block of South River Road, was sparked by an electrical issue in the barn, said Capt. Nathaniel Ayers, Miami Twp. Fire and Rescue.
News Center 7’s Monica Castro spoke to fire crews about the challenges posed by the large fire.
Heat, humidity and hay posed challenges, but none was bigger than maintaining an adequate water supply, Ayers said.
Four fire departments responded, with large tanker trucks routed to the closest water supply at Cedarville University, which was between a mile and two miles away, he said.