The annual Clark County Veterans Day event will be held in a new location this year, but organizers said the program will continue to honor all of the region’s veterans.
The event was typically held in Veterans Park but due to construction will instead be at 11 a.m. Wednesday at Ferncliff Cemetery, said Cathy Wood, executive director of the Clark County Veterans Service Commission. The event is typically one of the biggest in the area, she said.
This year retired Col. Cassie Barlow will serve as the guest speaker at the event. Barlow previously served as commander of the 88th Air Base Wing and Installation Commander at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.
The event will also include a Salute to the Dead provided by the American Legion Post 176, as well as a performance of TAPS. Tim Horton’s will also provide refreshments.
“Veterans Day is the program we like to do every year,” Wood said. “It recognizes all veterans in Clark County living or deceased, combat veterans and peace time veterans. It’s just a day to recognize everyone.”
Other veterans events in the region include:
• The Urbana Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution will host an event for all local veterans beginning with a social hour at 9 a.m. Saturday at VFW Post 5451 and DAV Chapter 31, 220 E. Court St., Urbana. The event will include a demonstration from 4 Paws For Ability, a Xenia-based organization that trains and places service dogs for children with disabilities. The organization also provides services for veterans.
• The Greenon Local School District will host a ceremony at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday at Enon Primary School, 120 S. Xenia Dr. at the flag pole. A separate event will take place at 9:30 a.m. at Indian Valley Middle School, 510 S. Xenia Dr.
• Tecumseh High School’s Air Force Junior ROTC will hold a flag raising ceremony at 8 a.m. at the high school, 9830 W. National Road in New Carlisle. At 1 p.m. veterans will also be honored by students and staff in the Tecumseh Middle School gym, 10000 W. National Road. Students at Park Layne Elementary School will host an event at 1:45 p.m. at the school at 12355 Dille Road. Donnelsville Elementary School, 150 E. Main St., will host an event at 9 a.m. Thursday. New Carlisle Elementary School will also host an event at 2 p.m. Thursday at the school, 1203 Kennison Ave.
• The Clark-Shawnee Local School District will host an event at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at Possum School, 2589 S. Yellow Springs St. in Springfield.
• The Southeastern Local School District invites veterans to attend observances on Wednesday at both of the district’s buildings. Miami View Elementary, 230 Clifton Road, will hold its event at 9 a.m. The assembly at Southeastern Jr. and Sr. High, 195 E. Jamestown S., will be at 2 p.m. Both assemblies will feature patriotic music and recognition of veterans in attendance.
• Northeastern Local Schools will host a at 8 a.m. Wednesday at Rolling Hills Elementary School, 2613 Moorefield Road. South Vienna School, 140 W. Main St. in South Vienna, will also host a veterans breakfast from 9 to 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.
• Emmanuel Christian Academy will host a chapel service from 9 to 10:30 a.m. Wednesday. Coffee and donuts will be served at 9 a.m. All area veterans are welcome to attend. Vietnam veteran Randy Ark will be the keynote speaker.
• Clark State Community College will commemorate Veterans Day with various campus activities, including the display of 2,000 United States flags on the Leffel Lane campus, the Greene Center campus in Beavercreek and the Bellefontaine campus. Today volunteers will read more than 5,100 names in a Remembrance Roll Call of U.S. lives lost during active duty service. The Roll Call will begin at 9 a.m. in the Sara T. Landess Technology and Learning Center Rotunda near the Wall of Honor with an anticipated end time of 1:45 p.m.