Makes 4 servings
This rich, red sauce combines ground beef, carrots, celery, onion, tomatoes with a touch of milk for added creaminess. The sauce is slowly simmered and delicious served over any favorite pasta.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 carrot (diced)
1 celery stalk (chopped)
1 yellow onion (chopped)
1-pound lean ground beef
1 cup water
2 cans 14.5-ounce low-sodium crushed or diced tomatoes (including liquid)
¼ cup low-sodium tomato paste
1 cup 2% milk
8 ounces whole wheat pasta
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- To cook the Bolognese sauce: Put skillet on the stove over medium heat and add oil. Add carrot, celery and onion and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables begin to brown. Raise the heat to high. Pinch off tablespoon-size pieces of beef and add a few at a time, stirring well between additions. Cook, breaking the meat apart until it is no longer raw, starts to give off liquid, and no longer clumps together.
- Add the water, tomatoes, and tomato paste, stirring well. Cook for about 10 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Slowly stir in the milk, a little bit at a time. Turn the heat down to low and cook 45 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Cook pasta as instructed.
- Top pasta with Bolognese sauce and a tablespoon of Parmesan cheese. Enjoy! *
Potato, Black Bean and Kale Skillet
Makes 4 servings
A lively Southwestern skillet dish featuring diced potatoes, kale, and black beans spiced with garlic, chili, and cayenne, and topped with a dollop of non-fat Greek yogurt.
4 red potatoes
2 ½ cups kale
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic (minced)
¼ cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 can 15 oz. (low sodium) black beans (drained and rinsed)
½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Cut potatoes into small pieces
- Chop kale.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, add garlic and onions; cook 2-3 minutes until just starting to brown.
- Add diced potatoes, chili, salt, and pepper to skillet, cover with lid and cook 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chopped kale and black beans. Cook about 3-5 more minutes, stirring gently.
- Serve with Greek yogurt.
Interested in free nutrition education classes from OSU Extension EFNEP? Contact Nancy Lyons at 937-224-9654 or email@example.com.