Fire severely damages Springfield home in new Bridgewater subdivision

The American Red Cross is aiding a Springfield couple after their new home sustained heavy fire damage on Sunday.

The couple, a husband and wife, escaped the blaze without any injuries. But their home in the 500 block of Golden Gate Blvd., located in the Bridgewater subdivision, suffered extensive damage.

ExploreCoronavirus: Clark County has roughly 2,000 vaccine appointments still available for this week

Members of the Springfield Fire Division were dispatched to the scene Sunday morning at 10:52 a.m., according Assistant Fire Chief Matthew Smith. The charred remains of the home stood in contrast to other new homes in the development, some still under construction.

caption arrowCaption
The charred remains of a new house stands out in contrast to the other new homes, some still under construction, in the Bridgewater subdivision Monday. The two residents, at home Sunday, escaped the blaze without injuries but their new house was not so lucky, suffering extensive damage. BILL LACKEY/STAFF

Credit: Bill Lackey

The charred remains of a new house stands out in contrast to the other new homes, some still under construction, in the Bridgewater subdivision Monday. The two residents, at home Sunday, escaped the blaze without injuries but their new house was not so lucky, suffering extensive damage. BILL LACKEY/STAFF
caption arrowCaption
The charred remains of a new house stands out in contrast to the other new homes, some still under construction, in the Bridgewater subdivision Monday. The two residents, at home Sunday, escaped the blaze without injuries but their new house was not so lucky, suffering extensive damage. BILL LACKEY/STAFF

Credit: Bill Lackey

Credit: Bill Lackey

Smith said a very rough estimate of damage that occurred as a result of the fire ranges from $225,000 to $300,000. The fire is believed to have started in the garage of the home.

ExploreWoman dead, man in hospital after shooting at Springfield Speedway

The husband had a heating element connected to a propane tank and it is believed that gas in the garage helped ignite the fire as the husband worked on cars there, Smith added.

The husband told firefighters that he heard some popping noises and went out to check before noticing the fire.