ShareFest is an annual donation drive that prevents usable items from going to the landfill by directing them to social service agencies and nonprofit organizations from around the Oxford area, according to the university.
HOW TO DONATE:
- ShareFest volunteers will pick up items from May 10-16
- Fill out a form online to schedule a donation pickup
- Anyone within the 45056 ZIP code may schedule a donation pickup
- On-campus students can donate at designated areas in each residence hall from May 10-12
In 2016, 77 tons of merchandise was collected during ShareFest, according to the university, and nearly 4,000 pounds of food was donated to the Oxford Community Choice Pantry.
Hundreds of families and many social service agencies benefit from ShareFest, including:
- Butler County Children Services: Many items collected from ShareFest are used to set up the first apartment of teenagers newly emancipated from the foster care program free of charge.
- Butler County Success - Talawanda: Butler County Success will give its ShareFest donations to families free of charge.
- Oxford Family Resource Center: The center has been involved in the planning and operation of ShareFest since it began. Since 2010, the center sells its ShareFest donations in order to maintain the funding needed for its services to the community.
- Habitat for Humanity of Greater Cincinnati: Habitat for Humanity will sell its ShareFest donations at the Habitat for Humanity ReStores. The proceeds will be used to help fund its mission to eliminate substandard housing in Oxford and beyond.
- Lighthouse Food Pantry: Since 2010, the Lighthouse sells its ShareFest donations in order to maintain the funding needed for its services to the community.
- Ohio Valley Goodwill Industries: Ohio Valley Goodwill Industries will sell its donations at area retail stores to help individuals with disabilities and veterans receive employment and training services and get jobs in the community.
- Oxford Community Choice Pantry: The OCCP will provide its donations to shoppers free of charge.