In the early 1970s, this was a Bill Knapp’s restaurant location. In 2001, that company folded and the restaurant sat empty for more than two years.
From 1984 to 1990, Ronald (Ronn) and Connie Collier were part of an extended family co-owned restaurant in New Carlisle called “Country Connection.” Then the couple decided to leave the restaurant business and return to farming.
Ronn was forced to give up his beloved farming to have a kidney/pancreas transplant in 2002. Incredibly, a year later his doctors gave him a clean bill of health and told him he could do anything.
He and Connie came to look at this empty hilltop dining hall, and bought it on the spot. Collier’s Family Restaurant opened in October 2003. Ronn worked at their restaurant until he died in 2015.
The dedicated management staff includes Julie (Collier) Dill, Dave Dill and Joe Krebs. This year, Collier’s Family Restaurant was certified by Ohio State Representative Kyle Koehler as one of the top 10 best “Mom and Pop” restaurants in Ohio.
Thanksgiving Day will feature a special holiday menu homemade at Collier’s; as well as offering guests all its wide-ranging daily menu selections of time-tested recipes (many made from meats supplied by Copey’s Butcher Shop in Medway) with generous servings by friendly staff. The Collier’s Family Restaurant slogan is, “Where good people gather for good food.”
- Beverages: Coffee 50 cents (w/free refills); Juice-$1.49/$1.99; Milk-$1.99; Pepsi products, Iced Tea, or Lemonade-$1.99 (w/free refills).
- Breakfast menu (8 a.m. to 2 p.m.): Cinnamon Toast-$1.99; Three Pancakes-$4.69;
- Three Egg Omelet-$4.89; Sausage Gravy & Biscuits-$4.99; Fried Mush-$5.29; Bowl of Oatmeal w/Fresh Fruit & Muffin-$6.69; Two Eggs, Meat, Side, & Bread-$6.99.
- Children's Menu (10 Years & Under) (w/Side & Beverage): Chicken, Hamburger, Hot Dog, or Macaroni & Cheese-$4.59.
- Senior's Menu (55 & Older) (w/Side): Two Piece White Chicken-$7.49; Beef Liver & Onions, Ham & Beans w/Cornbread, Old Fashioned Swiss Steak, or Salmon Patties-$9.49.
- " '7' Super Specials" (11 a.m. to 8 p.m.) (Could Be): Smoked Sausage w/Kraut & Mash, Spaghetti w/Meatsauce & Side, or Tuna Salad Sandwich & Side-$6.99.
- "Weekend Specials" (Could Be): Country Fried Steak & Two Sides, Lasagna w/Garlic Toast & Side, or Pot Roast w/Vegetables & Side-$10.49; Baked Orange Roughy & Two Sides-$10.99.
- Sides: Fried Apples, Fried Cornbread, Jello w/Fruit, Potato Hacks, Toss Salad, or "Vegetable-of-the-Day"-$2.39; Fried Green Tomatoes-$3.49; Sweet Potato Fries-$3.79.
- Soups: Beef Vegetable, Cheese Broccoli, or "Soup-of-the-Day"-$2.99/$3.99; Meaty Chili-$3.39/$4.39.
- Sandwiches: Bacon Cheeseburger, BBQ Sandwich, Fish Sandwich, Grilled Ham & Cheese, Grilled Pork Tenderloin, or Grilled Swiss Chicken-$5.59;
- Big Chopped Sirloin Steak Sandwich (eight oz.)-$7.29
- "On The Lighter Side": Chef Salad, Mandarin Fried Chicken, Taco Salad, or Three Way Salad Plate-$8.29.
- "Country" Menu (w/Two Sides & Bread): Three Piece Chicken-$9.99; Two Boneless Pork Chops-$10.79; Catfish w/Fried Cornbread-10.79; Tilapia-$11.79; Super Sirloin (eight oz.)-$11.99.
- Desserts (Could Be): Apple Crisp, or Blackberry Cobbler-$2.99; "Buckeye Pie," Butterscotch Pie, (No Sugar Added) Cherry Pie, or Pumpkin Pie-$2.99; Chocolate Cake w/Caramel Icing, or New York Cheesecake-$2.99; Hot Fudge Cake-$4.29.
- Thanksgiving Day Menu (Includes): Turkey, Chicken 'n Noodles, or Virginia Baked Ham, Bread Dressing, Scalloped Corn, Sweet Potato Casserole, Homebaked Bread, & Dessert-$10.49.
Regular Hours: All Seven Days, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Thanksgiving Day, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.;
- Christmas Eve, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- There's plenty of free parking at this hilltop building.
- The three large dining rooms seat one-hundred eighty-two customers. Wi-Fi access throughout is free to patrons.
- There's no reserved seating at Collier's Family Restaurant.
Look for local restaurant profiles by Glenn and Kim Creyts every other week in “Life.” For inquiries regarding this column, and “Restaurant Profile” ideas and suggestions for future columns, please contact Glenn and Kim via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.