Hard work and some good luck at an auction led to the return of this popular local tavern.
Restaurant: Taylor’s Tavern
Location: 5539 Dayton-Springfield Road, Springfield
Telephone: (937) 323-0174
Markov’s Restaurant, with its unique chicken sign perched high atop the property, was a popular eatery in the township when it opened in 1950 until it closed over a half-century later.
The restaurant went to auction in September 2002. Local residents and business people, Bob Taylor and Mindy Hogan, were disappointed when they lost in intense bidding for the landmark.
A week had gone by when Bob called Mindy to tell her, “The chicken’s flying again!” — meaning in jest that the auction winner’s bid fell through. If the couple were still interested, their final bid would be accepted for the property and business.
The structure was in desperate need of cleaning and remodeling. Mindy and her staff worked tirelessly to deep-clean everything, which included restoring the stained knotty-pine walls to their natural beauty. Also, they added a new bar and seating, and redesigned the floor plan to designate separate gathering spaces for customer comfort. The original chicken sign was converted to read “Taylor’s Tavern,” which opened in October 2002. Its expansive patio with bar was added three years later, and is ready for visitors each spring.
Mark Hobbs, bar manager, and Steve Meyers, kitchen manager, aim to “satisfy your appetite” at Taylor’s Tavern, a classic pub and steakhouse that proudly serves traditional home-style meals for lunch and dinner.
- Beverages: Folger’s Coffee-$1.99; Pepsi products, or Fresh Brewed Iced Tea-$2.25 w/free refills; Beer (can)-$2.75 (twelve oz.)/$3 (sixteen oz.); Beer (bottle)-$3.75 (twenty-two oz.); Miller Lite Beer (bottle)-$3.75 (twenty-four oz.).
- Appetizers: Soft Pretzel Bites-$4.95; Pizza Stick Basket-$5.95; Taylor Skins-$7.95; Taylor’s Nachos-$9.95.
- “Daily Specials” (could be): “Burger-of-the-Day” (one-half lb.) w/Steakfries-$7.95; Strawberry Pecan Salad w/Grilled Chicken-$8.95.
- Soups: Chili-$3.25 (cup)/$3.95(bowl); “Soup-of-the-Day” (could be): Chicken & Noodle, Loaded Potato, or Spicy Steak-$3.25 (cup)/$3.95 (bowl).
- Salads: “House” Salad-$3.99; Taco Salad-$8.95; Buffalo Chicken Salad-$9.95; Grilled Shrimp Salad-$10.95.
- Sandwiches (w/pickle & fries): Backyard Burger (one-third lb.)-$6.95; Pork Tenderloin Po’ Boy-$7.25; Chicken Tender Sandwich-$7.25; Grouper Finger Sandwich-$8.95; Atlantic City Italian Sub-$8.95.
- A La Carte: Twice Baked Potato-$3.75; Chips & Salsa-$3.95; Grilled Cheese Sandwich & Pickle-$3.99; Loaded Bacon Cheese Fries-$3.99.
- Taylor’s Grill (w/salad, potato, & roll): Char Grilled Chicken Breast-$10.95; Boneless Center Cut Pork Chop-$14.95; BBQ Baby Back Ribs-$15.95 (half)/$18.95 (whole); Taylor’s Signature New York Strip Steak (12 oz.)- $16.95; Porter House Steak (fourteen oz.)-$19.95.
- “From The Sea” (w/sides): Beer-Battered Fish Dinner-$10.95; Grilled Shrimp Dinner-$13.95; Farm-Raised Tilapia-$15.95.
- Pastas (w/salad & garlic bread): Four Cheese Linguini-$13.95; Cajun Vegetable Alfredo-$13.95 to $16.95.
- Quesadillas: Grilled Chicken, Southwestern, or The Veggie-$7.95.
- Dessert: Cheesecake-$6.95.
- Monday to Saturday, 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. (Monday to Thursday, kitchen closes at 10:30 p.m.; Fri. & Sat., kitchen closes at 11 p.m.)
- Sunday, noon to 1 a.m. (Sunday, kitchen closes at 10 p.m.)
Reservations are accepted any day until 6:30 p.m. There’s indoor seating for 70 people.
One dart board, one pool table, and a jukebox with three selections for $1 are meant to add more pleasure to your visit.
“Greenon Booster Club” Card supports Greenon High School’s basketball program and allows Taylor’s Tavern patrons $4 off a $25 order, or $6 off a $40 order.
St. Patrick’s Day will bring Irish Stew and $5 Lime Drop Shots to Taylor’s Tavern, “Where Good Friends And Good Times Come Together!”
Look for local restaurant profiles by Glenn and Kim Creyts every other week in “Life.” For inquiries regarding this column, and “Restaurant Profile” ideas and suggestions for future columns, please contact Glenn and Kim via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.