Hatchimals and Star Wars will dominate the toy shelves again this holiday season.
Consumers will compete to land the hottest toys of the year, and some products are already flying off the shelves. The NPD Group has named the top 10 toys of the year that will most likely be hard to find closer to Christmas. Half the list is dominated by relatively new toys launched after October 2016: Fingerlings, the Star Wars App Enabled R2-D2, and three L.O.L. Surprise! items, the research group found.
“Looking at the toys currently gaining the most traction at retail, retailers can use this information to understand safe bets for early re-orders, and manufacturers should ensure that retailers are keeping these items top of mind,” said Juli Lennett, senior vice president for The NPD Group.
Classic toys like the Barbie Dream House and Hot Wheels Singles will still be popular this year, but new releases will also be hard to find this year. The top 10 include:
1. L.O.L. Surprise! Doll Assortment (MGA Entertainment) - Playset Dolls & Collectibles
2. Fingerlings Monkey Assortment (Wow Wee) - Robotic/Interactive Playmates
3. L.O.L. Surprise! Lil Sister Assortment (MGA Entertainment) - Playset Dolls & Collectibles
4. Barbie Dream House Playset (Mattel) - Fashion Accessories
5. Hovertrax 2.0 (Razor) - Skates/Skateboards/Scooters
6. Hatchimals Pengualas Pink Egg Assortment (Spin Master) - Special Feature/Interactive Plush
7. Hot Wheels Singles 1:64 Assortment (Mattel) - Mini Vehicles
8. L.O.L. Surprise! Big Surprise Ball (MGA Entertainment) - Playset Dolls & Collectibles
9. Star Wars App Enabled R2-D2 (Sphero) - Robotic/Interactive Playmates
10. Star Wars E7 Black Series 6” Assortment (Hasbro) - Action Figures
“I believe we will see aggressive pre-Black Friday toy promotions at retail, more so this year than last and amplified by the current retail environment,” Lennett said. “Getting shoppers in stores earlier and shopping more frequently will be the key to success for the toy industry this year.”
FIVE FAST BUSINESS READS