Springfield woman sues Speedway after beating by employee at store

A Springfield woman is suing Speedway for more than $25,000 after she says she was severely beaten by one of their employees last year.

Lesley Moore, of Springfield, is suing Speedway, Diamond McNeil and Cassandra Watts in Clark County Common Pleas Court. A Speedway spokeswoman told the Springfield News-Sun that the company does not comment on open litigation.

The lawsuit says McNeil was an employee of Speedway working at their 1840 S. Limestone St. store Aug. 18, 2018.

The suit says Moore was at the store at around 12:47 a.m. that morning and was determined to be bothering customers and refusing to leave the premises. Springfield police were called and Moore was told to leave.

But, “sometime later that morning, while McNeil was still on duty as a clerk at the Speedway station, Moore returned to that location,” the lawsuit says. “McNeil got into a verbal altercation with Moore. Actuated by her duties as a Speedway clerk to remove unwanted individuals from the premises, McNeil then called two friends and asked them to come to the Speedway station to assist her in removing Moore from the premises.”

Watts was one of those friends, the lawsuit says, and the two arrived at the store.

“Without provocation by Moore, McNeil and Watts severely beat Moore around the head and face while inside the Speedway store,” the lawsuit says. “McNeil and Watts dragged Moore thought he Speedway store by her hair and neck. McNeil and Watts threw Moore out the front door of the Speedway store.”

“After throwing her out of the front door of the Speedway station, McNeil struck and kicked Moore multiple times, despite the fact that by that time Moore was incapable of defending herself from McNeil’s attack,” the lawsuit says.

The lawsuit says police were not called by either of the women nor a supervisor who was contacted following the alleged attack.

“Moore was eventually found at approximately 3:18 a.m. when she was trying to enter the front door of a house that she thought, at the time, was hers,” the lawsuit says. “The police were called to that location and they discovered that Moore was confused about where she was, having been beaten severely about the face and head.”

She was taken to Springfield Regional Medical Center and later flown to Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton where she was placed on a ventilator and feeding tube for two days, the lawsuit says. Doctors discovered that Moore was suffering many injuries including a concussion, several facial fractures, swelling to her esophagus, a partially collapsed left lung and a black eye.

Clark County Common Pleas Records show McNeil pleaded guilty to attempted felonious assault and was sentenced to serve three years in prison. Watts was convicted by a jury and was sentenced to serve two years in prison, according to records.

About the Author