» CONTINUED COVERAGE: Macy’s ‘fine-tuning’ staffing at some stores
Macy’s submitted a permit for a partial remodel of its existing Macy’s department store located at 2700 Miamisburg Centerville Road at the Dayton Mall. The estimated market value of the completed project is $75,000. The permit indicates the project is a partial building alteration to make space for a 1,300-square-foot Macy’s Backstage outlet.
»MUST-READ RETAIL NEWS: Will Macy’s become a discount store? Retailer shares grim sales report
The department store chain has invested in its off-price concept, called Macy’s Backstage. The company added 11 new Backstage stores within existing Macy’s stores in the first quarter of 2017. The stores, similar to Nordstrom Rack, offer discounted prices on brand clothing up to 80 percent off.
In January, the company announced the closure of 11 Macy's stores — including one in downtown Cincinnati. It's part of the retailer's plan to close approximately 100 stores, which was announced back in August 2016.
FIVE FAST BUSINESS READS
• JC Penney cuts 360 jobs in stores, corporate headquarters
• Coroner requested after Fuyao forklift accident: What we know now
• Macy's outlet store to open at shopping center in Dayton area
• Check out this $1 million home for sale in Clearcreek Twp.
• Tyra Patterson: Every day is a second chance