Last year, 3.6 million cataract procedures were performed in the U.S. and more than 20 million worldwide. By 2020, those number will double according to eye care professionals. Cataract surgery is one of the most performed and successful surgeries in the U.S. Your Better Business Bureau offers tips for finding a reputable cataract surgeon.
A cataract is a cloudy or opaque area in lens of the eye. Cataract surgery is a simple outpatient procedure, which means you don’t have to stay overnight at a hospital. The surgery is performed by an ophthalmologist.
Locally, your BBB handled almost 500 inquiries about this industry last year.
When searching for an ophthalmologist, your BBB suggests these tips:
• Get recommendations from friends and family. You can also ask your family doctor or optician.
• Consider reputation, years of service, as well as cost.
• Ask the doctor how many cataract surgeries he or she has performed.
• Check to see if the eye surgeon accepts your insurance and what it covers.
• Make sure the eye doctor has no history of malpractice or disciplinary actions. Visit, healthgrades.com for more information.
• Ask about appointments. For example, how long in between visits and what is the average waiting time before appointments.
• Make sure the ophthalmologist is licensed, carries appropriate insurance and meets local and state requirements.
• Find out if he or she is a member of an association such as the American Academy of Ophthalmology. These associations’ help you find local eye doctors and know the latest trends in eye care and equipment.
• Determine if the visit and exam was thorough. If you feel the doctor was rushed or rushed you through the visit, maybe you need to find another one.
• Make sure you feel comfortable with the ophthalmologist. If you don’t like him or her, you’ll be less likely to schedule your next visit.
• Ask questions. Don’t be afraid to inquire about something you don’t understand.
If you have any questions regarding ophthalmologists, you can always get help from your BBB, such as a list of BBB Accredited ones and Business Reviews on ones you’re considering. For more information, visit www.bbb.org or call (937) 222-5825 or (800) 776-5301.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.
John North is president of the Dayton Better Business Bureau.