Registration opens New Year’s Day for all of the 2020 U.S. Air Force Marathon races.
The races are more than nine months away. But training takes time. The 5K race is scheduled for Sept. 18 at the Wright State University Ervin J. Nutter Center, 3640 Colonel Glenn Highway.
And the longer races — the 10K, half-marathon and full marathon — happen the next day, Saturday, Sept. 19, at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force, 1100 Spaatz St., at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.
Here’s what else runners need to know:
• Registered participants can pick up their race packets from 3 to 7 p.m. Sept. 17 at the Health & Fitness Expo, which is free and open to the public. The expo is at the Nutter Center.
• The breakfast of champions will be 8 to 10 a.m. Sept. 18, at the Holiday Inn-Fairborn, 2800 Presidential Drive. That’s also free and open to the public.
• Race packets can also be picked up Sept. 18 at the continuing Health & Fitness Expo, from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. that day, still at the Nutter Center.
• The gourmet pasta dinner will be 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Sept. 18 at the Air Force Museum, also open to the public.
• Also on Sept. 18: The Tailwind Trot 1K kids’ run starts at 6 p.m. at the Setzer Pavilion, behind the Nutter Center.
• The 5K opening ceremony will be 6:15 p.m., also at the Setzer Pavilion. The 5K start is 6:30 p.m.
The marathon and related events expect more than 12,000 participants from across the country and the world.
Those interested can register at https://www.usafmarathon.com/registration/.
Volunteers are a big part of the event. Volunteer registration opens on May 1. There’s more information at https://www.usafmarathon.com/volunteer/
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.