Johnathan Monroe

Police: Springfield Twp. firefighter ‘tearful’ during alleged confession

A former Springfield Twp. firefighter pleaded not guilty Friday in Clark County Common Pleas Court to several charges after he was accused of sexually assaulting teens in the fire department’s cadet program.

Jonathan Scott Monroe, 23, of 141 The Post Road, Apt. G, Springfield, faces charges that include three counts each of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor and sexual battery, as well as single counts of gross sexual imposition, rape and compelling prostitution, according to court records.

The charges involve four victims — who now are 15 years to 17 years old — under whom he had authority as their training instructor. An arrest warrant was filed for Monroe after he had agreed on April 18 to surrender to authorities and failed to do so.

READ MORE: Police nab Springfield Twp. firefighter instructor accused of sex abuse

“This was an interesting investigation from the start because we had the suspect come to us to share some information about some incidents he had been involved in over a number of years,” said Sgt. Joe Tedeschi, of the Springfield Police Division.

Monroe showed up at the Springfield Police Division earlier this month and allegedly confessed to assaulting the teens over the last several years, with the latest incident occurring last month.

DETAILS: Springfield Twp. firefighter accused of assaulting cadets for years

“Monroe was very tearful,” Detective Sandra Fent wrote in a police affidavit.

The alleged abuse began when Monroe was also a teenager, according to court records, and reportedly continued for several years. The affidavit says Monroe turned himself into police on April 5, but investigators couldn’t arrest him until they also interviewed the victims.

Monroe resigned from his position at the fire department by sending an email to the fire chief on April 6, Springfield Twp. Trustee Tim Foley said.

MORE CRIME NEWS: West Liberty School shooting victim gets back brace off

“I do not know why he chose to come to us at that time and share with us some of these events he’d been involved in,” Tedeschi said.

Foley said Monroe no longer has any connection with the fire department. He also said the cadet program is under review.

CRIME: Springfield woman charged in alleged fanny pack, beer can assault

Victims of sexual abuse should know help is available, Tedeschi said.

“There’s many services available for folks who find themselves in these types of situations,” Tedeschi said. “For adults as well as juveniles.”

Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X