Springfield Twp. firefighter accused of assaulting cadets for years


A recently resigned Springfield Twp. firefighter has been accused of sexually assaulting four teens he met through the cadet program at the fire department.

Jonathan Monroe, 23, showed up at the Springfield Police Division earlier this month and allegedly confessed to assaulting the teens over the last several years, with the latest incident occurring just last month.

READ MORE: Springfield man pleads guilty to killing his 3-month-old daughter

A warrant has been issued for his arrest on charges of rape, sexual battery, gross sexual imposition and unlawful sexual conduct with a minor.

“Monroe was very tearful,” Detective Sandra Fent wrote in a police affidavit. “During the interview, Monroe stated that he had access to these children through the cadet program with the Springfield Twp. Fire Department.”

The alleged abuse began when Monroe was also a teenager, according to court records, and reportedly continued for several years. The affidavit says Monroe turned himself into police on April 5, but investigators couldn’t arrest him until they also interviewed the victims.

Police said they contacted the suspect to turn himself in on Tuesday but he failed to do so. Police anticipated arresting him Thursday night.

DETAILS: Man acquitted on rape charge appears to kill himself days later

Monroe resigned from his position at the fire department by sending an email to the fire chief on April 6, Springfield Twp. Trustee Tim Foley said.

“At the April 11 trustee meeting, the trustees approved to accept the resignation of Jonathon Monroe,” he said.

Foley said Monroe no longer has any connection with the fire department. He also said the cadet program is under review.

“The program has been suspended until further review,” Foley said.

He’s been advised not to make any further comments at this time, he said.

Monroe had authority over the teens as their training instructor at the fire department, Springfield Police said.

MORE CRIME NEWS: Suspects in Ridgewood break-ins appear in Clark County court

The suspect told detectives he allegedly began assaulting one of the victims years ago, according to court records. The victim told investigators it started when the victim was 11 years old. Monroe told police that the last time he allegedly had sexual contact with the teen, he offered the victim $40 but didn’t pay the money, according to the affidavit.

Monroe said he paid a different teen victim multiple times, police alleged.

The former firefighter also identified two other victims, the affidavit says. One victim he allegedly assaulted more than 10 times and the other was once about a year ago, according to the affidavit.

Each victim corroborated the alleged assaults, according to the police affidavit.

Springfield Twp. Trustee Jim Scoby and Springfield Twp. Fire Chief John Roeder both declined comment on Thursday afternoon. Springfield Twp. Trustee Dean Wells couldn’t be reached Thursday.

5 QUICK CRIME READS

VIDEO: Springfield street fight caught on tape; victim speaks out

Pike County Murders: DeWine says case remains priority

Springfield drug epidemic spreads, overdoses surpass all of last year

Two men arrested, suspects in Ridgewood break-ins

South Charleston man accused of snapping Chihuahua’s neck



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Crime

Lena Dunham slammed for defending 'Girls' producer accused of rape
Lena Dunham slammed for defending 'Girls' producer accused of rape

Social media users are slamming actress and “Girls” creator Lena Dunham after she defended one of the show’s producers, Murray Miller, following allegations that he raped a teen actress, Page Six reports. “Life comes at you fast @lenadunham,” S.E. Cupp tweeted with a screenshot of one of Dunham's previous...
'SNL' slams former cast member Al Franken on 'Weekend Update'
'SNL' slams former cast member Al Franken on 'Weekend Update'

"Saturday Night Live" slammed Sen. Al Franken just days after Los Angeles news anchor Leeann Tweeden accused the Minnesota Democrat and former "SNL" cast member of groping and kissing her without her consent during a 2006 USO tour. Colin Jost and Michael Che took aim at the comedian-turned-senator during the show's "Weekend...
Why are these Springfield students building pulleys and hula hoops?

Students at Hayward Elementary School in Springfield are taking a class this year that combines technology and fitness. TECHFIT has students using math and science to design a project that promotes health. “They design a technology and fitness exergame,” teacher Yvonne Shelburne said. “Their game is an obstacle course, so there are...
5 things Ohio governor candidates want to do about the opioid crisis
5 things Ohio governor candidates want to do about the opioid crisis

The next governor of Ohio in all likelihood will inherit a drug crisis that continues to kill thousands of Ohioans each year. The annual cost of opiate abuse, addiction and overdoses to Ohio is estimated at $6.6 billion to $8.8 billion, according to researchers at Ohio State University. Beyond the dollars and cents, the scourge is killing on average...
'Project Runway' contestant Wendy Pepper dead at 53
'Project Runway' contestant Wendy Pepper dead at 53

Anne Eustis Pepper Stewart, known as Wendy Pepper, has died at the age of 53, Page Six reports. The “Project Runway” first season contestant “died peacefully" Nov. 12 while "surrounded by her loving family," according to her obituary. The news comes just one month after the death of fellow contestant...
More Stories