Breaking News

John Legend to perform for virtual Democratic National Convention

‘Not intellectually disabled or mentally ill’: Teen accused in New Carlisle homicide found competent to stand trial

Natasha Ellis, 16, has been bound over to the adult court system and indicted on several murder charges. She’s accused of plotting and carrying out an attack on her friend’s family in May. JENNA LAWSON/STAFF.
Natasha Ellis, 16, has been bound over to the adult court system and indicted on several murder charges. She’s accused of plotting and carrying out an attack on her friend’s family in May. JENNA LAWSON/STAFF.

One of the teen girls accused in the fatal stabbing in New Carlisle has been found competent to stand trial, according to online court documents.

Natasha Ellis, now 16, was found “not intellectually disabled or mentally ill,” after a competency evaluation at Eastway Behavioral Healthcare in Dayton.

“She is currently able to understand the nature and objective of the legal proceedings and can assist in her defense,” online court records from the evaluation said. “Therefore, the court finds her competent to stand trial.”

Ellis pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to charges of aggravated murder, murder, attempted murder and felonious assault on Dec. 27, court records show. She is accused of carrying out an attack on her then-13-year-old friend’s family members at a home on North Church Street in New Carlisle on May 23.

The friend’s mother, Lee A. Moore, 36, died in the attack. The 13-year-old’s father and then 17-year-old brother were also hurt, but survived.

READ OUR FIRST REPORT: ‘We are in this together’: New details released in fatal New Carlisle tripled stabbing

Elli’s competency evaluation took place on Jan. 31 and results were made available to the court on Feb. 25.

Prosecuting attorney Tracy Lockhart-Williams said she was happy with the results of the evaluation.

Ellis’ evaluation was not the first time she’s been seen by a psychologist in this case. Before Ellis was indicted into adult court on Dec. 9, there were several steps that needed to be taken before a judge could relinquish her to adult court because of her age at the time of the crime — including hearings about facts of the case and psychological evaluations.

A psychological expert weighed in at an “amenability hearing” for Ellis on whether she could be rehabilitated.

“Dr. (Kara) Marciani opined in her report and testimony that not only was the youth mature enough to be transferred to the adult division, she did not believe there was sufficient time to rehabilitate the youth in the juvenile system,” a judgment entry from Clark County Juvenile Court Judge Katrine Lancaster said. “Dr. Marciani’s opinion is that the youth’s psychopathic features and borderline personality disorders are very difficult to treat and in some instances, treatment-resistant, and therefor the youth is not amenable to rehabilitation within the juvenile system.”

While Ellis will face her charges in adult court, the other girl will remain in juvenile court.

READ MORE: Teen accused in fatal New Carlisle stabbing going to adult court

Sheriff’s deputies have said previously that even though Ellis may have acted by herself, the planning of the attack was done in unison with the 13-year-old.

In an interrogation video shown in a July hearing, Ellis told an investigator that her friend left weapons out in the home in certain places for her to use in the stabbing. At the same hearing, a deputy told the court that Ellis told her the night of the attack the two girls were in communication up until the moments before the stabbing happened.

The 13-year-old has been charged as a serious youthful offender which could result in a mixture of juvenile and adult sentences down the line. It’s unclear when the 13-year-old will begin her trial, as all trials have been temporarily postponed due to COVID-19, the coronavirus.

Lockhart-Williams said Ellis is next due in court on April 3 for a motion to suppress, which was filed by her attorney, John Meehling.

“A motion to suppress evidence has been filed by her lawyer, but the evidence hasn’t been filed yet so we aren’t sure what they are trying to suppress,” Lockhart-Williams said.

The Springfield News-Sun reached out to Meehling about the motion and did not receive a response.

Lockhart-Williams said she isn’t “entirely sure yet,” if Ellis’ April court hearing will also be temporarily postponed due to COVID-19.

DIGGING DEEPER: New Carlisle slaying where teens accused may be part of growing trend