“I am happy to say that Clark State recognizes and addresses the needs of the communities it serves, and during this time of extremely heat, the college is opening its doors to help those who may not have access to find relief,” said Ron Gordon, dean of enrollment services for Clark State.
Bottle water will also be available at each location.
Cooling center hours of operation are:
• Clark State campus located at 570 E. Leffel Ln. in Springfield at the Sara T. Landess Technology and Learning Center Rotunda on Thursday and Friday from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m.
• Clark State at the Xenia YMCA located at 334 Progress Dr. in Suite 200 located in Xenia at the student services desk on Thursday from 9 a.m. until 7 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m.
• Clark State campus located at 3775 Pentagon Blvd. in Beavercreek on the first floor information desk on Thursday from 11 a.m. until 8 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m.
• Clark State campus at Ohio Hi-Point Career Center located at 2280 OH-540 Bellefontaine on Thursday and Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m.
The Springfield region is heading into its first extreme heat wave of the year as the heat index approaches 105 degrees.
Temperature are expected to be in the mid-90s on Thursday with an excessive heat watch going into effect Friday at noon through Saturday at 8 p.m. Heat index values in the Miami Valley during this time are expected to be around 105 degrees.
MORE: Heat wave to bring dangerous temperatures to Springfield, region
The Clark County Combined Health District has identified cooling stating that will be available as a reprieve from the heat and humidity during this emergency heat period. They will be available:
• Meijer on Hillcrest Avenue
• Wal-Mart on Bechtle Avenue
• Wal-Mart on Tuttle Road
• New Carlisle Public Library located at 111 E. Lake in New Carlisle
• All of the Clark County Public Libraries located at; 201 S. Fountain Ave. in Springfield, 1119 Bechtle Ave. in Springfield, 5 W. Jamestown St. in South Charleston and 209 Main St. in Enon
• McDonalds located at 2133 S. Dayton-Lakeview Rd. in New Carlisle
• 3333 Lake Rd. in Medway in Bethel Township
The Springfield Soup Kitchen located at 830 W. Main St. in Springfield says it will operate as a cooling center from from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday.