Fire fighters from several jurisdictions were on scene at a fire that shut down a major route through Clark County.
Crews from Bethel, Mad River and Pike Townships along with the New Carlisle Fire Department were dispatched to the 100 block of East Main Street at about 6 p.m. on reports of a house fire. Neighbors reportedly saw smoke pouring from the house and called 911.
The residents of the home were not there when the fire started, according to officials. The blaze apparently started when a dryer was left on in the home's laundry room, crews were able to contain it to a small part of the structure.
The response to the fire forced officials to shut down U.S. route 40 as they battled the blaze, which has now been re-opened.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.