As many as two residents escaped a fire Tuesday night that severely damaged a duplex on East Northern Avenue in Springfield.
Fire crews responded to the home in the 800 block around 6:35 p.m., per initial reports.
Springfield Fire Capt. Alexander tells us the preliminary investigation points toward a cigarette or other smoking material left unattended as the cause of the fire.
Crews found flames showing in the front of the residence when they arrived, he said.
No injuries were reported, he said.
Damage estimates were not immediately available.
Call our 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, if you have a news tip or send it to email@example.com
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.