Springfield backs $24M hazardous dump cleanup near water source


The city of Springfield will back a $24 million, reduced clean-up plan at the Tremont City Barrel Fill, but one city commissioner says he won’t stop fighting for what he called full protection for the local drinking water.

Springfield city commissioners unanimously passed a resolution backing the cleanup Wednesday, becoming the second local government to agree to the plan at the closed dump that has 1.5 million gallons of hazardous industrial waste stored in buried barrels. Clark County commissioners passed a similar resolution last month.

RELATED: Springfield leaders to vote on $24M hazardous waste dump clean-up plan

“It’s a yes, but it’s a reluctant yes,” Springfield Mayor Warren Copeland said.

Local leaders and activists were told earlier this year to accept the modified cleanup of the hazardous waste dump they’ve long feared could seep into Springfield’s drinking water supply or risk nothing happening for years.

“Nothing can be done if you don’t start the process,” Springfield City Commissioner Joyce Chilton said.

The community has fought for decades to get a thorough cleanup. The barrels were buried at the 8.5-acre section of the closed landfill between 1976 and 1978.

READ MORE: Tremont City barrel fill: What’s really going on?

Community members and local leaders have pushed the U.S. EPA to remove all hazardous waste from the site. The U.S. EPA was expected to move forward with a $56 million plan to remove all hazardous waste from the site.

However in 2011 the federal agency decided to pursue a $28 million plan that calls for barrels containing liquids to be removed and ones with solid waste to be dug up and then reburied on-site in a lined landfill.

Since then, a modified version of that cheaper plan was introduced and estimated to cost about $24 million. It also includes a double liner, leak detection system and possibly removing some of the barrels that include the worst chemicals.

In recent months, Springfield City Commissioner Kevin O’Neill has told commissioners he believes the community should continue to fight for the more extensive remediation. He voted for the resolution because it will get the process started but said the new plan falls short of what the community expects.

“I’m hanging my hat that this is going to be fixed properly,” he said. “I’m not going to quit trying to avail the process of removing it all once the process starts.”

MORE: Springfield leader wants lifetime warranty on hazardous waste

He hopes to raise money to remove all of the hazardous waste, which has been estimated to cost another $13 million to $15 million. The price tag will be insignificant if the city’s well fields became contaminated, O’Neill has said.

“The community deserves the right to say yea or nay to that,” he said.

By not doing something, City Commissioner Dan Martin said Springfield runs the risk of getting a worse plan many years from now.

“(The process) would start from scratch,” he said.

It also makes sense for the city and other partners to hire an independent engineer to consult with the local governments during the cleanup, Martin said. If there are any corners being cut at the expense of public safety, he said an independent consultant could inform local leaders.

MORE: Clark County must decide soon on reduced cleanup for hazardous waste dump

“We owe that to the community if we are going this route,” Martin said. “We need to make sure we have our own expert who can work with us and give us advice.”

The proclamations of support are the first step in getting the remediation started, Clark County Health Commissioner Charles Patterson said.

“We have many more steps to go,” he said. “We can’t do anything further until we get the ball rolling.”

People for Safe Water member Larry Ricketts wants the city to pass a separate resolution urging the barrel fill be placed on the National Priorities List, which would allow it to become a Superfund site. Gov. John Kasich must approve a community’s request before the listing is approved.

The city will likely hear legislation regarding the priority list at their next meeting, Copeland said. The U.S. EPA has assembled a task force to examine and possibly make changes to the Superfund program, which could be cut up to 25 percent as part of the upcoming federal budget.

“It behooves us to get on the National Priorities List so that we have that as a backup,” Ricketts said.

FIVE NEWS-SUN MUST READS

Special report: Healthy Springfield

Drug, overdose epidemic never-ending battle for Springfield police

Drug crisis traumatizing children in Clark County, state

Overdose epidemic spreads, strains Springfield first responders

Woman allegedly skips out on $5,000 bill at Springfield wedding venue



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Politics

Thousands of military civilian jobs in Ohio at risk
Thousands of military civilian jobs in Ohio at risk

The U.S. House passed a defense spending bill Thursday that could impact nearly 6,000 civilian defense jobs in Columbus and 2,600 in Cleveland. The impact of the proposal on the Dayton region and Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, meanwhile, would be negligible. Rep. Mike Turner, R-Dayton, a member of the House Armed Services Committee, said the House...
House OKs $182M Wright-Patt expansion, military pay raise
House OKs $182M Wright-Patt expansion, military pay raise

The House has passed a $717 billion defense policy bill that would give the military a 2.6 percent pay hike, the largest in nine years and allow for a major expansion at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. The bill OKs a massive $182 million expansion of the National Air and Space Intelligence Center at the base, one of the largest expansions in history...
What would proposed ‘Stand Your Ground’ gun bill in Ohio do?
What would proposed ‘Stand Your Ground’ gun bill in Ohio do?

Pro-gun rights lawmakers moved this week toward making Ohio a “stand your ground” state. House Bill 228 passed out of a House committee this week, even though Gov. John Kasich has threatened to veto the measure. Still, the bill has substantial support from House members with 38 co-sponsors. If and when it goes to the House floor, it will...
U.S. Senate votes to expand health care options for veterans
U.S. Senate votes to expand health care options for veterans

The U.S. Senate overwhelmingly passed a VA Health bill Wednesday that would expand the private health care options for veterans, extending and streamlining the current VA Choice program and providing $5.2 billion for that program. Both Sens. Sherrod Brown and Rob Portman voted for the bill, which embraces increased flexibility, allowing veterans to...
Trump can't block people on Twitter, judge rules
Trump can't block people on Twitter, judge rules

A federal judge in New York ruled Wednesday that President Donald Trump can’t block people from his Twitter feed because doing so would violate their First Amendment rights, according to multiple reports. The ruling was issued by U.S. District Judge Naomi Reice Buchwald in response to a lawsuit filed in July by the Knight First Amendment Institute...
More Stories