Editor’s Note: This feature first published on March 29, 2018.
Who doesn’t love the taste and aroma of a great cup of coffee? Downtown Springfield has a spot you’re sure to like.
RESTAURANT: Winans Chocolates & Coffees
LOCATION: 32 N. Fountain Ave., Springfield
TELEPHONE: (937) 717-0268
At the start of the 20th century, Charles and Katie Walton owned a pastry shop in Bryan, Ohio. Their daughter Edla married one of Charles’ employees, Wayne Winans. In 1933, the parents formed Winans Bake Shop in downtown Piqua.
In the early 1960s, Wayne and Edla’s sons Max and Dick opened Winans Carriage House Candies in Piqua. Three decades later, Joe and Laurie (Winans) Reiser bought the family’s company from Max. Then, Joe traveled the world in search of premium cacaos (chocolate powders) and “consciously traded” coffees. A year later, the name was updated to Winans Chocolates & Coffees. In 2003, franchising of the business began.
» READ MORE: Victor’s Taco Shop coming to Springfield soon
Travis Van Voorhis and Chandi (pronounced, “Chun-dee”) Shah are from Sidney and have been dating for two years. When they met, he was a hospice nurse and she worked in feld operations for Winans Chocolates & Coffees Corp. in Piqua.
The couple wanted to open some sort of business, so Travis suggested they become Winans franchisees because of Chandi’s expertise in the company. In November 2016, they chose Springfield to open their Winans Chocolates & Coffees. They’re dedicated to “working really hard to re-establish an alive downtown!”
Winans Chocolates & Coffees was formally recognized by The Chamber of Greater Springfield as having the “Best Coffee of 2017.”
Chocolates (include): Bavarian Mints; Butter Creams; Caramels; Cherry Cordials; Coconut Haystacks; Meltaways; “Miss Clara’s” Buttery Toffee; Nut Bark; Opera Creams; Orange Creams; Peanut Butter Delights; Peanut Clusters; Raspberry Creams; Sugar-free Chocolates- $18.95 to $23.95 lb.
— Hot Drinks: Brewed Coffee-$1.75 to $2.50; Hot Tea-$2 to $3.50; Hot Chocolate- $2.75 to $4.25; Matcha Latte-$3.50 to $5.
- Hot Espresso Drinks: Espresso-$2 to $3.50; Latte-$3 to $4.50; Karamel Kiss-$3.50 to 5; Wurtle-$4 to $5.50.
- Cold Drinks Over Ice: Iced Brew Coffee-$2.50 to $3; Iced Tea-$2.75 to $3.75; Iced Latte-$3.50 to $4.50; Iced Wurtle-$4.50 to $5.50.
- Cold Frozen Drinks: Frapp-$4 to $5; Fruit
- Crusher-$4 to $5; Frozen Java Jolt-$4.50 to $5.50; Fruit Smoothie-$4.50 to $5.50.
- Pre-Packaged Nuts: $3.95 and up per bag.
- Fresh Treats: Biscotti-$1.50; Blueberry, Carrot Cake, or Pumpkin Muffin-$2.50; Cinnamon Roll-$2.75.
- Pre-Packaged Treats: OHIO Buckeyes; Milk Chocolate Animal Crackers; Peanut Brittle; White/Dark Chocolate Covered Pretzels-$3.95 and upper bag.
- “Signature” Gift Box: $21.95.
- Gift Box: $5 to $80.
- Gift Basket: $20 to $700.
- Gift Card: $ is determined by any amount you want uploaded.
- Gift Tray: Custom orders for individuals or corporations-$ priced accordingly.
- Mon.-Thurs., 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.;
- Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 9 p.m..;
- Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 9 p.m.;
- Sunday, 9:00 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- The “Cupping Room” seating can be reserved in one-hour increments for up to six guests.
- Loft seating can be reserved in two-hour increments for up to 25 guests.
- “Winans Rewards Program” presents a free beverage to patrons after the purchase of 10 beverages.
- Winans Chocolates & Coffees offers customized catering for your special event, so ask Travis and Chandi for booking details.
Look for local restaurant profiles by Glenn and Kim Creyts every other week in “Life.” For inquiries regarding this column, and “Restaurant Profile” ideas and suggestions for future columns, please contact Glenn and Kim via e-mail: email@example.com.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.