From Europe to Detroit to Springfield, this family restaurant has an interesting and tasty tale to tell.
Restaurant: Olympic Family-Style Restaurant
Location: 2039 Bechtle Ave., Springfield
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OlympicConeyIsland/
- Telephone: (937) 505-6377
Mentor (“Tony”) Rama began his frantic search for safety when he fled Tirane, Albania, as a refugee in 1988. His European homeland was in the midst of political turmoil and its citizens constantly faced brutality and imprisonment without cause during that time, so he desperately sought freedom in the United States. After he arrived, he settled in Detroit and spent many years working at a restaurant in its Greektown area.
» TRENDING: New smokehouse comes to Yellow Springs
Tony was very happy when he was able to travel to and from Albania freely between 2010 and 2013, where he met and married his wife, Elvira (“Eli”). Their blended family includes two sons and two daughters.
In 2015, Tony felt it was time to move up in business, so he found a realtor that had a Springfield restaurant location on her list she wanted him to see. He looked at this North Bechtle Square place and immediately decided to relocate here.
» READ MORE: New taco shop coming to Springfield
His son Andy picked the name “Olympic” (meaning, “Grand”) for their “true American diner,” which opened in August 2015. Eli was legally qualified to join her husband in the United States in September 2015 for good!
- Beverages: “Cadallic” Coffee-$1.75; Hot Chocolate-$1.75; Coca-Cola products-$1.89; Milk-$1.99; Iced Tea-$2.25; Orange Juice, or Apple Juice-$2.50; Cranberry Juice-$2.75.
- Breakfast (served anytime): Biscuits & Gravy (one-half order)-$2.95; Ham, Egg, & Cheese Sandwich-$3.75; French Toast-$4.49; Pancakes w/fruit, or Chocolate Chips-$4.99; Gyro Greek Omelet-$7.99; Ribeye Steak & Eggs-$8.99.
- Breakfast Sides: Toast & Jelly-$1.10; English Muffin-$1.25; Bagel & Cream Cheese-$1.99; Home Fries-$1.99; Breakfast Meat-$2.49; Oatmeal-$2.99.
- Kid’s Menu: Mickey Mouse Pancake w/meat-$4.50; Hamburger & Fries-$4.50.
- “Daily Specials”: Mini-Breakfast from 7 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.-$3.49; Full Breakfast from 7 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.-$4.49; Buckeye Omelet-$8.99; Liver & Onions w/three sides-$8.99; Gyro, Fries & Mini-Greek Salad-$9.99; “All-You-Can-Eat” Fish w/three sides each Friday from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m.-$9.99.
- Appetizers: Mac & Cheese Bites-$4.50; Four-Piece Chicken Strips-$5.99.
- Gyros & Pitas: BLT Pita-$5.25; Gyro Pita-$5.75; Corn Beef Pita & Swiss-$6.50.
- Soups: Chicken Noodle Soup, or Lemon Rice Soup-$2.50/$3.25; Chili-$2.95/$3.59.
- Salads: Tossed Salad-$2.95; Greek Salad-$6.99; Cobb Salad-$9.50.
- Sides: Tony’s Rice Pudding or Tapioca Pudding is complimentary with any meal, if you ask! Rice Pilaf-$2.50; Onion Rings-$3.99; Spinach Pie-$5.99.
- Hot Dog/Coney Favorites: Plain Hot Dog-$1.59; Coney Island Hot Dog-$2.25; Coney Taco-$3.25.
- Burgers: Cheeseburger (1/4 lb.)-$4.25; Chili Cheese Burger-$4.50; Greek Burger-$4.50; Mushroom & Swiss Burger-$4.75.
- Sandwiches: Slim Jim (Ham, Swiss, & Veggies on Sub Bun)-$5.99; Tuna Melt-$5.99; Philly Steak & Cheese Sub-$6.50.
- Dinners (w/sides): Hot Meatloaf-$7.99; Twenty-One Piece Shrimp-$7.99; Chicken Kabob-$8.99; Spaghetti w/Meatballs-$8.99; New York Steak (10 oz.)-$13.99.
- Desserts: Bakiava-$2.99; Chocolate Cake, or Strawberry Cake-$2.99; Cheesecake w/strawberries-$3.70.
- Monday-Saturday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Sunday, 8 a.m to 8 p.m..
Firefighters, law-enforcement and military personnel will each receive a discount anytime; just show your I.D. at the register.
Visit their new Hilliard, Ohio, location, “Olympic Family Diner.” It’s open every day, 7 a.m to 3 p.m Telephone: (614) 876-5070.
Look for local restaurant profiles by Glenn and Kim Creyts every other week in “Life.” For inquiries regarding this column, and “Restaurant Profile” ideas and suggestions for future columns, please contact Glenn and Kim via e-mail: email@example.com.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.