Here is what shopping for a vehicle online won’t tell you: how easy or hard it is to open the door, climb inside and what it feels like to sit there. How the upholstery feels. Where the blind spots are. Where you can put your purse, laptop, tools, luggage, children, dog. Whether the vehicle fits you and your family.
For all this, there is a superior way to select your next car, truck, crossover, sport-utility vehicle, minivan or hybrid: Do it the old-fashioned way – in person, at the 2018 Dayton Auto Show. It will never get easier.
That’s what’s happening now through Feb. 25 as the new range of what has arrived or will arrive in showrooms in the months ahead, has been packed into the Dayton Convention Center, 22 E. Fifth St. Two hundred-plus vehicles, including Harley-Davidson motorcycles, are gleaming underneath the spotlights.
You’ll see not only great vehicles but may win something worth upwards of $9,500, plus possibly T-shirts, trinkets and gift cards for gas and merchandise from various contests.
The Miami Valley Chevrolet Dealers are generously offering a two-year lease, valued at about $9,500, on a 2018 Chevy Equinox LT SUV to some lucky attendee. To enter, visit the show until 1 p.m. Feb. 25. A final drawing will take place at 3 p.m., and you must be present to win.
Other show highlights are:
• Makes and models from several dozen manufacturers. Vehicles drawing attention at the show, are the 2019 Subaru Ascent, Honda Civic Type R and the Cadillac ATS-V Championship Edition. Purchase of the Caddy includes two days of all-inclusive instruction at the V Series Academy in Nevada, according to Voss Cadillac. This is a limited-edition Cadillac – only 200 were made world-wide.
• The Toyota Drive Center feature vehicles for test-driving around downtown Dayton. The following may be available to drive, subject to change: the first-ever C-HR, the all-new Camry, RAV4 and Highlander.
• FCA Drive Experience, featuring the Chrysler Pacifica, Dodge Charger, Jeep Compass, Ram 1500 Crew and Fiat 500x
• Special entertainment attractions for kids, including animals from Wild Hearts African Farm and Petting Zoo, Matt the Balloon Guy and Face Doodles by Jen
• Dayton Dragons booth Feb. 24-25. Attendees can stop by for a chance to win a VIP Dayton Dragons prize pack that will include four stadium seats, pre-game tour, four Dragons hats and T-shirts. Heater and Gem will make several appearances Feb. 24-25.
• Identifying makes and models of vehicles featured in various photos during a photo scavenger hunt will give attendees the chance to win a 55-inch Samsung UHD TV. A “selfie” social media contest throughout the show also will reward participants will gas cards.
“The 2018 Dayton Auto Show is really the best place to see and test all the new vehicles; we are fresh off the Detroit and Toledo auto shows,” Danison said. “It’s a great opportunity to see how individual needs and preferences mesh with the vehicle. Plus it’s a no-pressure environment because no vehicles can be sold at the show.”
The event is presented by the Dayton Area Auto Dealers Association. Show sponsors are the Dayton Daily News, Springfield News-Sun, Miami Valley Chevy Dealers and Dayton Area Toyota Dealers.
Thank you for reading the Springfield News-Sun and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Springfield News-Sun. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.