The NFL season is only one game old and already there are lots of hot topics of discussion.
If you had any doubts about why this is America’s game, the Broncos’ 21-20 win over the Panthers had plenty of examples.
1. Before the game started there was a memorable moment as Broncos linebacker Brandon Marshall took a knee to join the protest started during the preseason by 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick.
2. That has spawned a trending topic on Twitter today: #boycottNFL. Those who started it might be disappointed in the direction the discussion is going, though.
3. The game itself had no shortage of big plays, including an acrobatic interception by Chris Harris, new Bronco QB Trevor Siemian’s first start in the NFL and the rarest of plays these days – an explosive touchdown run by a real, live fullback!
4. The reigning MVP, Cam Newton, offered another reminder of just how great he is, too, and he was a bigger story for multiple reasons. Of course he was chucking the ball all over the yard with his unique style, but he also absorbed some big hits that had people wondering if they should have been flagged.
5. Even before the game, new discussions had spawned as Ray Lewis shared his thoughts on the Kaepernick protest. That has generated a lot of buzz as well.
With 15 more games this weekend, the discussion promises to have only just begun.
Welcome back, NFL.